1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My MM2 rises over snow backdragging?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by pjnlandscape, Jan 3, 2011.

1. pjnlandscape

pjnlandscape Member

I am new to plowing snow this year so keep the snooty comments to yourselves lol. I have a few driveways I have to back drag, my problem is when I back up the plow tends to rise and compact about an inch or so of snow, this defeats the purpose doesn't it? I put the plow down and put it to "float", is that incorrect? Any tips would be appreciated.

2. tiaquessa

tiaquessa Senior Member

tWell first off, we're from New England. Most of what we get is the kind of snow that compacts easily. Try this- After you've back dragged from the garage, go back out and drop the blade. Plow towards the garage, and lift the blade about 3 or 4 feet before the door. Then put the blade on the other side of what you just plowed, and back drag that. And yes, you putting it in float is the right thing to do. Don't worry, you'll learn as you go. The most important thing is to go slow, and don't hit anything.

3. Mnpowerstroke99

Mnpowerstroke99 Member

Thats exactly what I do.I also have a backdrag edge on my plow.

4. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

That's what Fisher HD plows do... we like to call them "groomers"

If you want a plow that backdrags well, you need a Western.

:popcorn:

5. pjnlandscape

pjnlandscape Member

Thanks guys I will try that during our next storm.

6. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

Have any pictures of the backdrag? I'm in the process of making my own and want to see how some are setup. Hopefully we will get a nice storm this weekend that will make for some good plowing.

7. The 18 inches we got last week wasn't enough for ya??? Looking promising for the weekend storm.

8. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

The Fisher Xblade also backdrags well- its the attack angle that makes the difference when backdragging. Its a downfall of chain lift plows that they float like that.

9. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

i was noticing this same problem while backdragging with my fisher

10. tiaquessa

tiaquessa Senior Member

Why is everyone complaining about the Fishers back dragging abilities. I mean other than a HD Boss plow, I think the HD fisher plows are one of the heaviest available. Also to the OP- does your plow have a cutting edge bolted on. If not, adding one will not only help the scraping, but will also add some weight to the blade.

11. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Even with the weight, the attack angle and snow that is around here that is packed down as soon as you drive on it, even once, makes backdragging a little more involved that the name implies

12. tiaquessa

tiaquessa Senior Member

Your absolutely right. I think the OP's best bet is to put a back drag edge on the plow.

13. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Full trip blades like Western have a different angle of attack, true which makes them drag better than a Fisher HD- a back drag edge will help, but so will technique. Once the blade is worn in to the point you need a cutting edge (don't just put on eon for the sake of it- the edge will never wear right and will scrape forward worse since the surface area in contact with the ground is double- trust me, I have experience with that scenario).

When you drag back don''t try dragging the whole drive out at once- taking only about 3 feet of snow at a time makes a big difference, pushing forward as mentioned to lift the snow from the pavement helps, especially before you try dragging back. a fast blade drop speed helps too- on MM1 you can adjust the quill on the control block to change the lift/drop speed. I sped mine up a bit and had a marked improvement since it had more momentum and went deeper into the snow when I dropped it.
    Also, when you drop the blade to drag before you drag "walk" the blade back and forth a little- angle left to right a few times, which will work the blade through the snow under it to the pavement (or at least deeper in the snow) and will tend to scrape better on that drag.
    I have resisted a drag edge because they can easily create issues for stacking snow which I have needed to do in most of my accounts.

14. Raconteur

Raconteur Senior Member
    from MA

The age old issue with backdragging . I use a Snowman to fix that .
    My XLS at #1000 backdrags a little better than my 8' X Blade did .

15. Mnpowerstroke99

Mnpowerstroke99 Member

I have a backdrag edge on my 8.5' XtremeV and it works surprisingly well.I think the extra weight helps.I don't have any trouble stacking snow with it[backdrag edge]on.I can make piles 8-9' high.