1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My Minute Mount project

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Banksy, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

So far I have an entire 8 foot Speedcast set up off an 86 F350. Today I picked up MM1 head gear and a brand new MM1 A-frame with a bag of hardware for FREE. I met up with a great guy on here last year and went by his house today to BS and do some parts trading. I am going to work on his trucks in exchange for parts and what not and plow for him. So far I have almost $300.00 in putting this plow together for my Dodge. All I need now is all the electrical, lights and elec/hydraulic pump. I am going to use this 8' blade with the MM gear. It's well used, but not cracked or bent. I now have the nightmarish task of rust removal and painting. :cry:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

3. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

So you're going to convert the old blade to be a MMI? Why not just buy a good used MMI or MMII plow for your Dodge?

4. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

All I'm using from the SpeedCast is the blade. I have the mounts for my truck already. Now I have the head gear and a new A frame. I'm not converting anything to anything, just need the blade. I live in NC and plows are more rare than bigfoot himself. It's hard to find a whole set up, not to mention something in a decent price range and I don't have time to run around the country buying plows. When it's all done and painted it'll be no different than any other MM1. It's not going to see a whole lot of use here. We are hoping for maybe a few events of a couple inches each. We've gotten 20 inches before and I could retire if we got that. $100 an hour for my truck to work.....

Last edited: Nov 11, 2007
  5. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Do you accually get snow down there? I have a friend that just moved down there not to long ago and I didn't think they got any snow. Maybe rain/sleet!

6. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Sometimes we do. Mostly ice, but when it snows it's insane around here. Stores are cleaned out of milk and bread, even for an inch or even the threat of snow. So, basically when it snows, there is money to be made payup . That's why I get $100 an hour to plow with my truck. People think I'm nuts, but I don't care. That's another reason I am piecing my plow together and finding the parts cheap. Trying to keep overhead low. I'd by a new plow if I lived back home in New England..... Oh ya, it's near freezing outside right now and it gets in the teens at night quite often..then just add rain.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2007
  7. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Spent all day on this. Maybe these picture will be more interesting. What do ya think? I love a good project and the next big tool I buy will be a sand blaster. Wire wheels, grinders and wire brushes can be brutal. That's not the lift cylinder that will be used, just to hold it in place for now. I need an elec/hydro pump. I put on all new nuts/bolts, pins and chain. Yes, it's just a good ol' rattle can paint job for now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Not too bad- how much has the setup cost you so far?

9. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Thanks. Just about $300.00. Inlcuding the mounts for my truck. They were about $150 from ebay and the 8' speed cast was exactly $150 from ebay. The mounts were shipped to me and the plow was 45 minutes away from the house. That's why I got the plow so cheap, it was for sale locally and there weren't any other nuts :dizzy: who wanted it. :D The MM head gear, Aframe and hardware were traded for the rest of the speed cast parts and work I will do on the other guys trucks.

10. Pat M

Pat M Member

For just a can of paint that is not bad at all. It looks alot better than the before pics so that is all that matters. I will hopefully start tearing my MMI apart tomorrow and see how far I get with the rebuild. Trying to get a buddy of mine to paint it all up for me.

11. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Thanks. Keep in mind that I only painted the head gear. The blade hasnt been painted yet. These things are simply to tear down.

12. rgrimes945

rgrimes945 Senior Member

Wow

Wow makes me think, I made a bad deal trading the parts for work. LOL just kidding you did a very nice job on the headgear. I just hope we get to use it this winter.

13. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

That thing looks pretty nice! Keep up the good work.

14. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Thanks!

Work on this all afternoon and I'm still not done. Notice the missing bumper and I want to straighten out the driver side push plate some more. Fishers site said G5 bolts, so I went to Lowes and got the hardware. I welded my own handles on the bolt heads so they wouldn't turn inside the frame.

The drivers side push plate tilts in a little bit and the cross bar holes don't completely line up. The plate is flush with the bottom of the frame. However, the plates fit into the head gear pretty well. What gives?

Anyways, I had to take a couple pics while it was temporarily hooked up.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  15. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Finished putting the mount on and bumper on. Obviously it's only being held up by a chain in the safety chain hook. Squats a bit, but the bed is empty. Whatcha think?? The blade needs a serious paintjob, but that will come eventually.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  16. rgrimes945

rgrimes945 Senior Member

Nice looking job

Makes me think I should have held on tto the minute mount plow.

17. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

The paint doesn't look too bad just the cutting edge but that thing will look awesome after its all painted

18. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

With all the plows in your yard, you'll never miss it. ;)

The cutting edge has that red primer on it. Within a few weeks, I'm going to strip the plow the best I can and repaint it. I know the fisher stickers wear off, but I'm going to try and find one for the heck of it. So far I'm quite happy with the set up. I'm also going to make a snow shield out of some rubber conveyer belt looking material at Tractor Supply.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  19. Pat M

Pat M Member

For what that plow alone looks like I don't know if I would even bother stripping it and painting it. If my blade looked as good as yours does I would not of even bothered stripping it to have it repainted. Now the A-frame and headgear that is a different subject. Those were rusted like no tomorrow. Keep up the good work and congrats on a good job.

20. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Thanks a lot Pat. The A-frame was brandy spankin new. Didn't need to paint that. Don't let the pictures fool you. The blade was painted without any prep work (not by me, was like that). There is painted flaky surface rust, no real rot or holes, so that will make it easier. But if I never get around to it this winter, it's not that big of a deal....