1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My Mack truck

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by snow, Aug 16, 2003.

1. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

I thought i'd start a separate thread about my dump truck and keep the cdl thread on topic.

Today, 8/16, we took the old fuel tank off the B42 and have a very clean tank off a diesel B model that will fit in the old ones place. Problems we ran into- could not get the fitting for the fuel line out of the old tank, and one of the brackets that supports the fuel tanks is so rusty that we need to take one off another truck.

Once the tank is on, i will be able to run the truck for a while and take it for a nice drive. After it is running and everything is working, i will be sandblasting the dump body and the back of the cab and start the bodywork/paint process. It helps that my friend has a body shop where i keep the truck :nod:

I will try and get more photos tomorrow, i might be at the Bridgewater fair tomorrow though.

Stayed tuned for more updates!

Bryan

2. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

Good luck with gettin that tank working ,the problem with working on the old stuff its usually a strugle to get anything off because of rust .

3. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Hey Snow!,

was looking at some of your mack truck photos on your photo page.

where did you buy it? was looking through and saw it and a few other trucks ( Green MackTandem) thought if they were for sale I would go look at them.

As you may or may not know, I am no longer with the hospital, so it appears to be the perfect time to start to enlarge my field of business.

I almost bought John reid's truck, but things happened, now I may call him to see if he still has it. I need a project to keep me busy instead of sitting home collecting Unemploymentand severance pay as well as splinters or cob webs.

4. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

Good luck with the truck! it'll be a real nice truck when you get done with it:drinkup:

5. snow

I got the truck through a local landscaper i knew from the gas station (i quit there friday). Unless you have a big garage, or a big wallet, i wouldn't get involved with a big truck. The only reason i got this truck was i got it free of charge, and i had a place to keep it. Otherwise, i would have never got it. Plus, iu have some friends who are mechanics and could pull the engine and tranny apart if needed. To pay a mechanic to work on a truck is probably $70+ an hour at any truck repair shop.

John Reid still has the truck, i almost bought it myself to put a utility body on, but realized it needs $1k plus in work and the frame is pretty thin. He also told me he's not going to sell the truck now:confused:

As far as a project, i'd look in bargain news for a mid 80's gm dually dump and fix that up. Now that you have a pickup, might as well have a dump to put a spreader in.

Mack update- Today i powerwashed the dump body, frame and part of the cab. This was to help in getting the body prepped for sandblasting. I discovered a few small air leaks, and also that the fuel tank loses prime after it's been sitting for a while. Once i get it tuned up, i'll fix the small air leaks and start on the body work. The engine runs great. Here's another photo-

p8240004(1).jpg

6. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Hey Bry,

Thanks for your concerns about my abilities and financial situation, but you don't have to worry.

You seem to be VERY LUCKY when it comes to finding good deals or GETTING FREEBIES.

I'm serious about a larger truck, why not PM me the locations of the green Mack Tandem in your photo page under miscellaneous.

I may call John, since I'm not too worried about the fram being thin. My brother in law cut and welded new steel into the old dually I gave him and it works just fine.

I look forward to hearing from you.

7. phillyplowking1

Heres one of mine.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2003
  8. phillyplowking1

1987 Mack triaxle 18' dump

imagesdisplay.jpg

Last edited: Sep 7, 2003
  9. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Nice trucks guys. Bryan, your photo album was a real treat to look through. Thanks alot for posting a link to it. Some real fine machines in there. Mike :)

10. snow

Philly-

How do you like those DM's? I never really cared for the look of them much, especially when you look in your rear view mirror and see one they look ********. The only DM's i like are the DM800's, those are the real work horses.

Mike-

It's taken a while to get all those photos, and with The Diesel Nationals at Raceway Park coming up next saturday i'll have even more photos to add to the collection.

Bryan

11. phillyplowking1

SNOW,thats my oldest tri axle and its a really good truck it has always run really good.My newer Macks are all rd688 ,they look a little better.

12. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Bryan, cant wait to see the new pictures you will be taking! Sorry for the next stupid question, but whats a DM? Im guessing it means Mack dump or something to that affect? :confused: Mike :waving:

13. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

It's that pic of matts truck,It's a mack truck with an offset cab.It also has a short nose unless you get into the 800 series.

14. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Oh ok, yea I knew it had something to do with that picture above. What do the letters DM stand for though if anything? Mike

15. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

The DM model is built for severe service, has an offset cab, and is intended for much time spent on construction sites off road. I don't know if the letters actually stand for anything or not.

The R model is intended to be used mostly on road and has lighter duty components.

16. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Not a bad truck to drive nice to sit to one side better visability plus the short nose better menuverability.

17. snow

Mike-

DM is a Mack model, like a chevy camaro, truck, etc. It stands for Dump Mixer because if you notice, the DM's are very construction oriented.

I thought i'd post a photo of my a nice looking steel nose DM mack.

Bryan

pb030006.jpg

18. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

That's a really nice truck, Bryan.

"I thought i'd post a photo of my a nice looking steel nose DM mack."

You own it now? Wow, not a bad way to get started in buying construction equipment.

19. snow

Whoops, i was originally going to post a photo of my friends mack, but the file was too big. This is not my truck, i forgot to take the "my" out when i edited the text.

I do have 2 more trucks coming this week, another 6 wheeler dump and a road tractor.

Bryan

20. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Hey Brian,

Did you hit the lotto or something?
    :eek:

Or do you have a rich uncle that is looking for someone to adopt?

Thats what four trucks you own now and a few other pieces of equipment

:D Man I gotta find out where that money tree you are picking from is planted !!!! LOL

JK snow, You know I'm teasin' !

:dizzy: