1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My Little Light Project

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by LawnProLandscapes, Mar 4, 2008.

1. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

I finally got a back rack on my truck so i can finally mount my whelen mini edge up. i also plan on putting another set of reverse lights on my rack as well. i built my own light brackets to hold my mini edge up there. tonight i just got done building my own switch box and im going to start wiring it up tomaroe. its got ten switches in all (i know its alot of switches but thats just how i want it). i plan on having my strobes, front hideaways, rear hideaways, reverse lights, backup alarm all on the 5 red switches on the bottom. my take downs, left alley, right alley on the three yellows on the top left, and the two blues in the top right will be the two alternative flash patterns. im still in the process of figuring the wiring out and am going to talk with a few light pros first. below is pics of the switch box, light brackets, mini edge and my truck and back rack. if you have any wiring suggestions or suggestions of another nature feel free to leave em.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. LawnProLandscapes

[​IMG]

* the pics of the brackets are before i cut them down to the right size. i took them right after i got the bends in them i wanted.*

3. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

awsome and whats up woth the chicks in the pic on all you post

4. LawnProLandscapes

haha i found them in the calendar girls post and just had to have them lol... :D

5. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

Use relays after the switch panal so they carry the load instead of the switches. That was the biggest lesson I learned after wiring the first light bars I got.This is my truck at night. I'ts kinda of hard to see but thats a 58" mx 7000 fully loaded.

photo album 1 004.jpg

6. Humvee27

Humvee27 Senior Member

Very nice job...leds tailights too it looks like...nice...I like the lights in the toolbox...I'm planning on doing the same thing....I like your switch box...I use the same switches...

7. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

it's all led even the third brakelight and cargo light:)

8. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

Looks great - gotta love those LED lights:drinkup:

9. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Looking good

10. VeePlow

VeePlow Junior Member

Cool! American Truck With a Back Rack!

I live 5 mins from Maine. Everyone on this side of the line runs backracks. I haven't seen a Maine truck with one yet...

FWIW I've got KC backup lights mounted sideways (vertically) on the factory holes on the backrack and they work great.

11. LawnProLandscapes

thanks tymusic im getting close to starting the install. im waiting to get everything together. I just ordered my ecco backup alarm yesterday, and just ordered a 4 head whelen hideaway kit today so that should all be here by monday at latest. then i just have to do alot of wiring :cry: im going to need a case of beer to keep me from going insane!!!! you guys think my truck's stock electrical system will be able to keep up with this? im going to test it out and see how it does before i dump more money into setting a second battery up but just wanted your opinions.

12. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I would just like to see how your going to wire this all up from the power source to the grounds to the switches and everything in between.

13. LawnProLandscapes

ill take some pics as it progresses. ive gotten a few good ideas and suggestions from other members and have a good idea of how im going to attack it.

14. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Where did you get the switches from? Nice job.

15. LawnProLandscapes

got them from advanced auto. thanks

16. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I have the same kind i got from auto zone They are brite at night just make sure you don't mount them to high up .

17. LawnProLandscapes

yea they are real bright, the worst is the blue though, they are a little too bright but oh well. the amber and red are alright though.

18. bigearl

bigearl Senior Member

How are your customers going to like that back up alarm at 4:30 am Isnt ecco the really loud one?

19. CSLC

CSLC Senior Member

If you are running strobes, back up lights and a light bar and anything else i would really suggets getting a second battery for all this. Your going to get alot of draw with the light bar and strobes. but that is just my way of thinking with being a firefighter and doing installs before.

20. LawnProLandscapes

thats why its going to be on a switch and only get power when i want it to. i want it for commercial areas or if i have to back out into a street.