1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

my lites still dims

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by naco, Dec 27, 2004.

1. naco

naco Member

Quick question got a 94 f 250 i just install a second battery under the hood and my lites dim when i used/move the plow. do i have a alternator prob?
    or could it be that the plow needs a better ground? or one of the batteries is no good?
    :dizzy:

2. rofoth3

rofoth3 Junior Member

lights dim

I have a 83 F150 2 Batteries high output alt.
    My lights dim also when raising/angling plow.
    My amp gage shows 30 amp draw but returns to normal
    when plow is in float/nuetral.
    Either way your plow is going to draw alot of amps, but if batteries/alt
    are good you should be fine.
    Alot of us plow with just parking lights on.

3. naco

naco Member

thanks, i got a chevy and with the same set up that doesn't dim as much.

4. rg123g

rg123g Junior Member
    from MASS

I have a 2000 Chevy I was out last night and found that my plow lights dimmed alittle but returned to normal in the float position. I also have
    a 17' light bar that I used. I really didn't see a problem does this wear out the batteries faster?

Thanks

5. proshare

proshare Member

My 1995 F250 was doing the same when it was new.I only run 1 battery with a stock alternator and after a few mods its been perfect. Wiring needs to be maintained or replaced regularly.
    the first thing I did was add grounds, the stock grounds are usually bad, you need to clean/replace anything that looks bad. and add a new ground for the plow if electric and a seperate ground for the plow lights.
    Replace the stock battery cables with new 1 gauge battery cables.
    rewire the alternator harness, you probably have corroded connections or burnt connectors.
    If you dont know how to rewire the stock connectors with new wiring, then buy a new harness. Its easy to change and it connects from the solenoid on the right fender to the alternator.
    You didnt mention what brand/type plow?
    Good Luck!! :)

6. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

just like stated above check and clean all connections every year. Mine dimmed with the stock alt (65amps) and a 1200cca battery. I just installed a GM 15si alt with a 200 amp stator that is working wonderful. it barely brings my volt gauge down at all.

The only time you should think about changing things is if the battery voltage doesn't come back up after done plwoing, if it takes more than a min or two, i would definately upgrade. WHich this was my case since i run e-fans too

7. naco

naco Member

i got an unimount western, with two 1000cca and a stock alt 100amps

8. proshare

proshare Member

I would open the headlight assemblys and check the ground(orange/black) where its riveted to the body, maybe loose or bad & add a ground from the existing ground in the harness(orange/black) to the bottom(*edit Inside the light assembly) where the lights mount to the plow frame. solder your connections.
    remove the lights and clean the mounting area where they bolt to the frame.
    Add a ground from the pump motor ground terminal where the ground side of your two wire plug connects and run this new ground to the frame next to the motor, this will ground the lights directly to the battery using the frame they are mounted on.
    Follow the two wire plug under the hood and make sure the ground side connection to is clean and directly to the battery.
    The lights dim because the plow motor needs whatever ground you have.
    usually after you use the plow a while the pins that hold the plow to the frame shineup and your ground from the frame to the truck gets better, but this isnt where the system is supposed to be getting grounded.
    test the alternator with a meter.
    1) with the truck off whats the battery voltage? this is your base voltage.
    2) with the truck running(all accessories off) whats the voltage?
    3) with the truck running all accessories on high, have someone work the plow while you watch the meter, whats the voltage reading? does it drop?

Good Luck

Last edited: Dec 28, 2004
  9. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

my lights dim a bit, I run the heat/defroster, radio, and lights

the lights dim a little but the gauge doesnt move.