1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My lights suck too

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by jeremy85, Nov 24, 2008.

1. jeremy85

jeremy85 Member
    from nh

I am going to install my plow lights on to the frame and decided to check/test them before I did in case I had to replace them.

The wire harness I have was hacked all up with no plugs. So I stripped the end of each wire that comes out of the light.

I hooked up the ground wire to negative on the battery and went thru the wires, touching each to positive, to see what color ran what bulb.

I got each blinker/running light to work.

But only one head light beam seems to work on each light, i think its the low beam.
    Its like both high beams are out.

I know this is possible but seems unlikely for both high beams to be out.

Do I need to hook up more then one wire for high beam or what could I be missing here?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Depends on what style of lights you have, how many wires they have, what colors they are, and if they have one or two grounds as to how you need to wire them.

But of course yes, it is possible both beams are burned out too.

3. jeremy85

jeremy85 Member
    from nh

How can I tell what model of lights I have?

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A pic of the plugs and lights would be most helpful.

5. jeremy85

jeremy85 Member
    from nh

The lights have no plugs, they were cut off by the guy I bought it from.
    I will get a pic of the lights tonight.
    thanks

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Since there's no plugs just post the wire colors along with a pic, not a major issue.

7. jeremy85

jeremy85 Member
    from nh

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The red wire I have going to the battery and the white goes to a ground, Just for testing.:nod:
    The white is spiced into white, the red into the green (low beam) and the yellow (running light)
    The blue is the blinker. I assume the red is high beam?

8. jeremy85

jeremy85 Member
    from nh

bump for help

9. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Hi

It appears that you have an aftermarket headlamp system, Grote to the best of my knowledge is not an OEM supplier to Meyer plow,

Your headlamp harness may be after market as well which may require several questions to be answered. Here's a Few questions to start :

1) How many wires go to your toggle switch? 6 or 12?

2) Are there any rubber 5 or 6 pin plugs coming off of your light harness?

3) What year make, model is your truck?

4) What number is on your trucks headlamp bulb?

I can tell you this that you will need to be patient when working through this , unless you want a quick resolve, which would be spending $300 for a Saber light kit with the proper headlamp adapters for a plug and play , down and dirty completion to your problem.

Jay

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes Jay's correct they're the aftermarket Grote manufactured lights.

Colors should be:

Red- Hi beam
    Green- Low beam
    Yellow- marker lights
    Blue- Turn
    White- Ground

11. jeremy85

jeremy85 Member
    from nh

so red to positive and white to ground should turn on the high beam

neither of my high beams work

are replacement bulbs available for this thing off the shelf at an auto parts store?

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sure, they're just standard issue sealed beams as available from any auto parts store.

13. jeremy85

jeremy85 Member
    from nh

i have no light toggle switch
    no plugs, they have been cut off
    97 dodge dakota
    2E1 sealed beam wagner halogen

14. jeremy85

jeremy85 Member
    from nh

saaaweet
    thanks man

15. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Hi

Well I would suggest that you may want to start building a proper wiring harness, or buy one

I would suggest you look for a Factory Meyer/ Truck light wiring harness with the 12 pole toggle switch, and a set of Dodge headlamp adapter plugs, then splice a set of 5 pin plugs on your existing headlamps. Storks snowplows in PA. currently has a E-bay listing for this harness ,with a $70 buy it now price, you may want to contact them for the harness and adapters, probably will run you around $120 for everything you will need .

Another choice is Mills supply has a complete Truck Lite kit with the harness and 12 pole switch for $209.10 + $56 for the Dodge adapters Kit # is 80900 tel # 1800-888-5072

Then sell your old lights on e-bay, probably will get $35-$50 right now.

Jay

Jay

16. jeremy85

jeremy85 Member
    from nh

I replaced both bulbs and both high beams now work.
    I am going to build my own harness that is independent of my vehicle lights.
    I'm only going to integrate the blinkers.
    thanks to all