1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

my lifted 89 suburban rides like crap over bumps

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by terry504, Jun 27, 2010.

1. terry504

terry504 Junior Member

hey guys, i bought a 89 suburban with a 4in lift and 33in all terrains. the ride is bumpy as hell so i swapped out for the pro comp es9000. i still have the same problem so i need a little help from you all. i know trucks are suppose to be bumpy but my girls boobs keep beating her up :dizzy:. are these good shocks or crap. any body out there got a burban with a smooth ride with some tips for me cause this is what i look like driving down the road :bluebounc

2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

What kind of lift kit is on there?? Sounds like more of a spring issue than shocks. But for shocks, the Bilstein 5100's are made for lifted vehicles. But I hope you are not looking for a cadillac ride with a lifted SFA Suburban!!

3. terry504

terry504 Junior Member

i dont expect a cadillac ride from a truck however this is worst ive ever had, ive owned burbans and trucks all my life. i bought it this way to restore and will have the springs checked but dont know what kind they are. thanks for respond and will look up bilsteins as well :D

4. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

How badly it do on pothole?

Was it bounce so quick or it ride like school bus?

5. terry504

terry504 Junior Member

i feel potholes big and small, michigan streets are terrible of course and if i hit a row of small potholes i literally feel like this:bluebounc. i went down a dirt road not to long ago near metro airport and had to actually stop and let traffic go by so i could go 5 miles per hour. like i mentioned before, i know i'm suppose to feel bumps like a truck should but not have to shatter my teeth out. ive checked air pressure in tires already and replaced with procomp es9000. the springs must be it. ps..i havent been on a school bus in 40years lol

6. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Ok it leaf spring that are too strong.

Only way you could remove 2 packs in leaf spring to test.

Can you get pictures of front and rear leaf springs.

7. terry504

terry504 Junior Member

okay, i will take to a leaf shop and have them see. thanks for the help:nod:

8. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Your mom still drives you to school too? I thought I was the only one.:D

I'd take it to a spring shop for sure. Let us know what they say and we can go from there.

9. terry504

terry504 Junior Member

i sure will:gunsfiring:

10. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Pictures or better yet a video may just be the ticket into having someone on here realize what your problem is :mechanic:

More than likely though, if you just bought it and depending on what you're used to driving, it riding the way its supposed to be!

11. terry504

terry504 Junior Member

i'm just going to have the springs looked at and maybe replaced, the more i look at it i come to the conclusion to being the only thing causing the problem, i'm use to driving nothing but trucks and burbans all around the same year so its not me over rating the problem and since i'm rebuilding it that would be a great place to start. thanks guys for all the help:salute:

12. terry504

terry504 Junior Member

ps....does anybody from michigan or ohio know where i can find a donor body i could chop off of, i need clean quarter panels and a few floor pieces. i found one at parts galore and started chopping off the quarters and went to go back the next day and the whole truck was gone :angry:

13. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

There are a few junk yards out by me that have a few decent older trucks/subs. But Detroit is a haul to Painesville, Ohio!! It has to be a spring issue. I put a Skyjacker 6" lift on my 82 K20 and it wasnt that bad at all. A bit rough, but not putting me thru the roof. I also used the skyjacker shocks as well. No blocks anywhere, it was all new spring front and rear

14. terry504

terry504 Junior Member

yeah i might check out skyjacker lifts thanks

15. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I've got a F350 with a 6" Skyjacker lift and 37s. It rides like a truck, but for a lifted truck it rides really well IMO.

16. terry504

terry504 Junior Member

its settled then, skyjacker winsussmileyflag i'll check out prices tomorrow

17. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

If ride quality is the main thing your after then look into Tuff Country. There springs have a great reputation on the old SFA GM trucks.

http://www.tuffcountry.com/

Also check out Colorado K5, best site out there when it comes to the solid axle GM trucks.

http://coloradok5.com/