1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My k1500 doesn't like shifting ito 2nd gear??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Crazy_Eddie, Aug 8, 2003.

1. Crazy_Eddie

Crazy_Eddie Member

It's a 94' with a 4L60e. The tranny was rebuilt by Aamco 13 months ago and is 1 month out of warrenty.
    Now when I say it doesn't shift into second, I mean it doesn't do it the way it shifts into other gears. At low speeds, when shifting from first to second, it sounds like the clutch is slow to engage. If I hit the gas when in third and the tranny goes to downshift the motor speeds up and the gear doesn't engage, in order to get it to engage I have to back off of the gas.
    Does this sound like it could be an issue with something minor or does it sound like I need a rebuild?
    One more thing, my neighbor who knows more about engines than I do said the timing on the motor doesn't sound like it's advancing when the rpms go up. If this is the case could that affect the way my tranny is shifting?

Thanks in advance...

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Have you checked the basics like fluid level\condition,and the TV cable adjustment ?

The timing shouldn't affect the trans operation to cause the symptoms your describing.If the timing was off,or not advancing,the truck would run poorly,and be a complete dog,so I don't think you'll find it's a timing problem.

Hopefully Johnny D will be along soon,he's our resident trans expert.I'm sure he'll be able to help.

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Eddie, the symptoms you describe may indicate a seal problem in 2nd gear.the good part is 2nd is a band,and the servo,and seals is accessable from the outside without even dropping the pan:) . There is also a chance that the valve body has a leak,but only a pressure test will show which it is.How is 4th gear/OD?. OD uses the same band,but a different servo piston. So if 4th slips,then you likely need a new band,and some seals. IF 4th doesnt slip,you should be able to have the offending seal replaced from the outside for a reasonable fee.but at least the unit should be able to be fixed in the truck. There is a chance it is electrical,but you wont know until a trans shop checks it out. I would take it back to the ammco that you had rebuild it,let them diagnose it for you,in most cases your likely to get better service from them since they rebuilt it ,and your already a customer.

4. Crazy_Eddie

Crazy_Eddie Member

you guys rock...

Chris,
    The fluid level is good. I've been keeping an eye on it since the problem started..

John,
    OD works fine, it's just second. Hopefully it won't be too expensive to fix...

Thanks guys... I'll keep you updated...

5. John DiMartino

It shouldnt be too $$ if you have 4th.

6. Crazy_Eddie

Crazy_Eddie Member

D'oh!

I took my truck to a friend of a friend yesterday to have him check out the tranny. He believes I could have a bad pump or valve body.. Regardless he recomended a rebuild. He said he could upgrade the tranny with a new converter, servos, etc for $1200. He said the tranny would be stronger than a stock 4L60. He also said he could do the rebuild cheaper if he reused some of the older parts.
    I told him the tranny was rebuilt in 6/02 by aamco, he said that alot of times they only replace parts they feel are worn when they teardown a tranny and they might not have replaced the pump. I ran this by a buddy of mine who used to manage an aamco where his father was the builder and he agreed that atleast that was the case in his shop. He said the owner was happy when trannys were fixed and money was being made. My buddy said that was the reason he left. This is all hearsay, I cannot confirm any of this and I don't want to come off bashing aamco, I'm just upset.
    Back to my point, does it sound like I was fed some BS? I mean the guy took a spin in the truck and stated when the truck downshifts from 3rd it's trying to go into 1st instead of second. he did say he could manually shift it into second using the shifter, but he thinks the pump is worn and doesn't put out enough pressure??? BTW, the truck has 180,000+ miles on it..
    Honestly, I can't complain about the price he quoted me, most shops in the area want atleast $1700 to rebuild the tranny, I guess I just want to hear someone say they can fix it by replacing the valve body and have me tip-top with a $400 bill. As far as people I can trust this guy is the closest I have in the area.
    Thanks for any input. I have to say I really enjoy reading the posts on this site and only wish I had more to offer as far as mechanics go. If anyone ever needs any networking/telecommunications advice or help let me know.
    Again, thanks...

-e

7. wyldman

wyldman Member

A worn pump which doesn't put out enough pressure would cause other symptoms,and would be noticable in other gears as well.

I'd go on John's recommendations first,maybe PM him and discuss it some more.I've chatted with him on the phone,and he knows his stuff.

8. Crazy_Eddie

Crazy_Eddie Member

Thanks for the headsup...

Chris,
    Agreed, not that I know transmissions, but if there is a pressure problem I too would think it will affect all of my shifting. I'm kinda thinking that alot of these tranny shops just want to do rebuilds and it might be tough to get a good transmission guy to take the time to troubleshoot the problem. If anyone knows of a decent transmission shop in the Baltimore area, please let me know.
    BTW, do you know if John takes Visa?:D
    -e

9. wyldman

wyldman Member

Don't know if he takes Visa,but I'm sure he could at least get it diagnosed for ya.You may have to buy a pressure gauge,and do some tests yourself,but at least you will know EXACTLY whats wrong with it before you drop some $$$ into it.

10. Crazy_Eddie

Crazy_Eddie Member

Looks like I'm going to get my hands dirty..

What kind of gauge and what brand would you recomend?
    Also, where should I check the pressure from and is there any decent online documentation or books regarding the 4L60?
    I don't think I'll feel right if I don't atleast look into it myself and check a few simple things out before getting a rebuild..

-e

11. wyldman

wyldman Member

Well since your just going to troubleshoot this problem,and probably won't use it a whole lot,then any cheap gauge that reads up to 200 psi should do the trick.Maybe you could even rent or borrow one.

Tranny's aren't really my area of expertise,and I don't know all the pressure specs off hand.I'm sure I could dig them up for ya,but it might be easier to just talk to John,as he'll know exactly what all to check,and what it should be.

12. John DiMartino

Eddie, before you make an expensive mistake,you need to have the trans scanned,to be if 2nd is being commanded,and also a pressure check to confirm the pressures are within specs. Also a pump volume/cooler flow test can confirm inadequte or adequete cooler flow,and pump GPM. When you manually select 2nd,it goes in,does it feel strong,can you slip it? You really need pressure checks,it may take more than one guage to find an internal leak.But basic line rise and pressres can be checked with one guage.

13. Crazy_Eddie

Crazy_Eddie Member

Hate to keep bringing this thread up..

.. but I want to keep you guys in the loop.
    I went to Aamco this morning to have them do a diagnostic on the tranny. Unfortunately, their scanner was having problems, but the tech took the truck for a spin and he believes the cause to be a bad shift solenoid.
    I'm going to try to drop the truck off this week to let them do their thing.
    John and Wyldman, thanks for the help, no doubt you guys saved me some $$$

thanks,
    -e

EDIT: I should have listened in the first place...

[Q]I would take it back to the ammco that you had rebuild it,let them diagnose it for you,in most cases your likely to get better service from them since they rebuilt it ,and your already a customer.[/Q]

14. Crazy_Eddie

Crazy_Eddie Member

Aamco Just got done scanning my truck..

Code 67: Torque Coverter quad drive circuit???

Would any of you guys be able to shed some light on what would cause this code to come up and if it would cause the problem I described?

Thanks..

-e