1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My John Deere X475

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by RBRONKEMA GHTFD, Nov 19, 2013.

1. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Hey guys, so earlier this summer I decided that I wanted out of plowing as a business owner. Just got sick of the competition in the area and all the other headaches that go along with it. I sold my blades in mid September. During the time I had them for sale I was researching snow blowers for doing my driveway. I liked a few of the ones out there but nothing really caught my eye. My plan was to buy new. After I sold my blades I was browsing a online auction site that is local to my area. I noticed a John Deere X475 garden tractor on the site and pondered bidding on it. I had a week to decide. I kept going back to the site and looking over the pics and doing research online about them.

Fast forward a week and the online auction is starting. It starts at 6 am and usually goes for 12 hours. It can go longer depending on bidding. During the day I was checking the price online throughout the day and I kept getting more and more interested all day. Once I got home I watched the bidding more closely and decided I would bid. I ended up picking it up for a little over 1300 bucks. This one was in rough shape cosmetically but according to the write up on it on the site it said it ran good, had 1700 hours and has a 23 horse liquid cooled Kawasaki. Once I got it home I was able to get a better look at it and was able to find a little more out about it. I still have no history on it other than what I have deduced during owning it so far.

Before I get to the pics I knew I wanted to restore this thing back to good condition. During tear down I noticed a certain smell coming from the tractor and how covered in what I thought was mud at the time the underside was. Well after I tore everything down I made the conclusion that the "mud" was cow manure and thats where the smell was coming from. Time to get the power washer out and start washing. It took a while but I got about 95% of it. I still notice a little smell every now and then but its way better than before.

At first glance it wasn't bad.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

After a little closer look this is what I found.

Crack in the hood. Previous owner took 4 zip screws and a piece of plastic to fix the crack.

[​IMG]

The seat was in awful shape.

[​IMG]

Rusting foot pan.

[​IMG]

3. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Cracked rear fenders where the tail lights were broke out. I can only imagine how this happened.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Scrape along the fender. Also a dent in the foot pan.

[​IMG]

What appears to be some sort of paint or something on the hood.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  4. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

After tear down this is where I was at. Ready for power washing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

The rear wheels and foot pan after power washing. The rear wheels were rattle canned before selling to "spruce it up" I am sure. The paint came off real easy. After I took the plastic covers off the foot pan there was so much caked on dirt on cow droppings under them. It came off in sheets while I was power washing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

After power washing. This is how it sat for about a week while parts were out to paint and while others were on order.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

While it was sitting on jack stands I noticed a gas smell. After looking over the tank I saw a zip screw in the tank. I am figuring while the previous owner was busy smashing the taillights out he punctured a hole in the tank and figured this would be a great fix.

[​IMG]

I removed the screw and set my gas can up as I filled the tank before bringing it home.

[​IMG]

7. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

I dont think $1300 was a bad deal if the engine & tranny in good shape, looks like she was always worked hard & put away wet, alot of that can be fixed up for not to much $, seat $100, lights $100, if you want things like the hood, that will cost ya. looks like a good rig for your driveway.

8. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Well I don't have to many pics of the parts going back on but you get the idea. I put all new decals on it, tail lights, hydro quick couplers(they all leaked), all new filters and fluids, new seat, air filter.

The wheels went on first so I could get it back into rolling chassis. A plus on the rear wheels is they are liquid filled. Downside is they are about 100 pounds a piece.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Here she is all put back together.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

New tail lights and both wheels flipped the same direction.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The day after I put it back together we got a little taste of winter. Had 3 inches on slop in late October.

[​IMG]

11. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

After doing some more research on the machine I decided I wanted a snow blower for it. After looking around and figuring out which ones would work on this machine and which ones don't I decided I wanted a 2 stage. I did a lot of looking on craigslist and everything I was finding was over 2,300-2,500 bucks. I was able to find this little gem in Penn. for 1400 bucks. It came off a 2210-2305 deere so the drive shaft and part of the mount wouldn't work for me so I sold those pieces for 275 so I recouped my fuel for the trip to Penn. from MI. I just received the drive shaft for my machine and will be installing that this weekend.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Overall with parts and paint I am into it what I paid for it to get it to look new again. Plus the cost of the blower I am into it way more than a walk behind blower but I can find a mower deck and be able to use this thing year round. The cost of these style tractors new is about 5 grand just the tractor. No blower, mower, etc. etc.

13. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

Nice job! Looks like it all came together very nicely.

14. Willman940

Willman940 Senior Member

That little Box blade is pretty cool. I'd ask if you still had it but I'd have no way to get it from you even if I was home (I live near Minneapolis). I really enjoyed watching this build, thanks for sharing.

15. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

The little blade does a great job pushing leaves and snow. Works just like a loaders push box. When I did the first push of the year with it it did fine but there was no ice. I am hoping I wont need chains as the tires are filled but we'll see. It does have a diff lock so that is a plus. I will post some vids of it blowing snow.

Right now I am looking for a cab for it for blowing snow and a 54c mower deck and triple bagger for it for summer. I would also like a sweeper for the front of it but thats way low priority.

16. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Turned out nice. I think you will need chains for sure. The tires are so wide. Don't know that I would have sunk that time, MONEY and effort into that machine but to each his own, like I said, it looks 100% better.

17. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Turn that box blade into a back blade for it! Then you've got the same setup you used to have with the truck, only sitting out in the freezing cold & taking 5 times longer! Oh, and lightbars too. Can never be too careful! Actually, do hideaways... keep it low profile :jester:

18. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

I was hesitant at first to stick the money into it, but I plan on using this for mowing my yard in the summer months. I initially had it up for sale when I first brought it home in as is condition, I talked myself out of it.

I am going out day after thanksgiving to get some new carhartts bibs for when blowing snow. The ones I have should of been thrown away years ago. I honestly thought about sticking some amber leds in the rear reverse lights and doing some sort of lights in the grille. We'll see how crafty I feel like getting. Calling for snow this weekend and I have yet to install the blowers drive shaft.

19. FSUPERDUTY

FSUPERDUTY Senior Member

Just for your info That tractor was about 9 grand new plus the deck!!

20. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Ryan you're nothing if you can't turn that snowblower into a bark blower for springtime!

Looks great by the way. Busting chops cuz that's how we roll!