1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My job pricing

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by SIXINAROW1, Feb 12, 2014.

1. SIXINAROW1

SIXINAROW1 Junior Member

I work at an auto auction in Cherry Hill, NJ. On average I have about 50 cars parked outside. The lot is a fairly big lot that I've been plowing for free. I plow the lot, then brush off the cars, move them plow where they were and repark them. So far this year we've had 33.3 inches of snow.
    What would you guys have charged to do what I've been doing? Minus the moving of the cars.
    I'd like to know somewhat of a ballpark estimate on what my boss has been saving not paying for snow removal

2. superdog1

superdog1 Senior Member

I wouldn't even take a job like that, as I wouldn't have time to move the cars around. With that being said, without the exact lot size, I have no way to price it. There are a few other factors that we would need to know also. My current rate for commercial lots is $90 an hour. How long does it take you?

3. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I'd brush the cars off first. Saves you from plowing twice.

4. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

One thing that annoys me just about the most is when someone wants me to give them a price with the sole intention to use it to figure out how much they saved by doing it themselves. :nono:

Having said that, if you do want people to give you an answer, you would need to say more than "is a fairly big lot".

5. SIXINAROW1

SIXINAROW1 Junior Member

The lot we get to use holds 161 cars. There is a side lot that holds 35 cars(185x60) for overflow and a customer parking area(130x60). Along with 3 garage doors that need to be plowed(40x60) and our lot that's (320x240). Probably total area is 5 acres??????
    I'm just trying to get a quick ballpark price for my own being. Ive worked @ dealerships since 1996 and this is the way I need it done for my piece of mind. Moving the cars is a PITA but its better than having someone slip on the snow that piled up between the cars.
    Its not an easy lot to do with cars outside as you have to plow the lanes away from the cars ect. This will be my last year doing this lot as my out of pocket expenses are getting a little high. Fuel damages to my truck ect
    To do it right it takes any where from 5 to 8 hours and the lot is pretty much down to wet asphalt

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  6. superdog1

superdog1 Senior Member

Here again, I would charge you $90 an hour. At that rate, you are looking at $450 per event. My guess is that the going rate in your area will be a lot higher. I say this because in NJ, it generally does not snow that much (This year an exception, Lol). With that in mind, the operators in your area will need more cash because of lower volume.

As you have already mentioned, the costs for fuel, breakage and general wear and tear are a factor. The other one is whoever is going to plow it has to be ready and dedicated whether it snows one time or 100 in a season. This person won't really be able to have a job somewhere else, as they certainly cant call off their regular job every time it snows to take care of your lot?

Good luck!

7. ddobson

ddobson Junior Member
    from pa

You're using your personal vehicle to do this?

8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

9. SIXINAROW1

SIXINAROW1 Junior Member

Yes I'm am using my personal vehicle for my job. I sold my 93 Cobra to buy this truck and I've spent a lot of money any my time to get it looking the way I expect my vehicles to look(ex detailer)
    I was due a raise 2 yrs ago and my boss said he wanted to do something for me and pay my truck payment(as a raise) I said its my vehicle to do as I please. He said absolutely. So I guess he figures it will all be done for free. And he even said he's not paying for snow removal
    So far this year I've plowed the lot for free. YES FREE!!!
    I've dented my bumper,tore off passenger mirror and dented the truck bed! Let alone the cost of fuel and oil/ fuel filter changes. Which I'm due for! Dang!
    I'm done! My Fisher Minute Mount2 plow is for sale or ill just cut it up into scrap. That's how irataed(sp)I am now. Just want to know what it would have cost him this year?
    $90 an hour seem good for me for what he gets plus I still work my regular job for him,so snow removal starts before he's even up
    Sorry for the rant. I've been up since 11:30pm Tues sweating my next snow fall. Going to be for a cat nap and up at 3:15 to see when I need to start again FOR FREE !!!

10. xjoedirt55x

xjoedirt55x Senior Member

So when you stop plowing the lot.... your daddy (boss) is going to stop paying for your truck

11. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Probably should have kept the cobra

12. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

All the dealers up here use a truck off the lot and have the salesmen do it as far as I know. Not sure why you would use your own fuel and truck to benefit your boss. He's a smart man

13. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Figure 100 an hour, minimum....150 is better. You are talking a serious commercial enterprise, and such serious services are never cheap.

14. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

I'm sorry he's bending you over so hard