1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My insurance woes

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by MIDTOWNPC, Oct 2, 2009.

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

Back in June sometime, went out to use my 2003 dodge ctd which I hadnt used in a while cause I was doing alot of yard work and was running my 99 dodge and the 03 wouldnt start, infact battery was dead. Was in a hurry and didnt have time to boost so just took the other truck to the meeting. Next day boosted it, still wouldnt start. Threw the charger on the battery let it charge came back, still wouldnt start... turned over great, no start. WTF. forgot my programmer that I have checked codes, so checked them and looked them up online, Security Key error.... read up more on that, think ok well maybe I can get more info from the owners manual, go to the passengers side of the truck open the door, the whole side has a keymark, and chips everywhere. Now IM pissed. Call insurance get the quotes ect and the truck goes in. It was clear someone had got into it, infact then I noticed that my cd's were missing, change ect. At first however when it happened I thought maybe I left the backup lights on or something. Get the estimates and decided to pay the difference and have the rest of the truck painted. I called around to dealers and talked to 2 places about this skim key problem. One says keys need to be reprogrammed into the computer and the other says, replace the skim, and if there is any signs of damage on the ignition replace the cylinder also. Insurance only wanted to do the reprogram and I wanted the full however, agreed to just the reprogram as long as I got the word from the collision centre that if there was a problem in the next 6 month it would be fixed. Work got done, truck looks awesome, everything is fine. Drive it without a problem for all summer. Everyone gave me compliments I praised the body man, great work. Anyways... 3 days ago basically the first colder day we have had. I go to start big red. Turns over, wont start... turned key off, let it warm again, turns over, wont go. Let it piss some fuel out of the seperator. Checked battery connections, turned on again... nothing... turns over wont fire. WHAT? check codes. SKIM error. Look around, not marks no one was in it, all doors were locked, looks like the cat came back. Call the insurance, no problem, talk to the collision, yep they okied it your getting the stuff that should have been done. Ok so what now... Tow truck will pick it up and take it to dealer. ok. called today to see how things are going... Dealer Service manager says and I quote " I was away yesterday, parts came in they put them in, still has problems, the monkied around with it and you need a PCM"
    I said well I guess you better call the collision place, cause I never had a code before or any sign that the PCM "main computer" from what I understand that was a problem. Service manager said he had a call into the collision place and said also I dont think your insurance is going to pay for a pcm. I said well I will call the collision place and also remind him to call you
    5:00 rolled around and no one is anywhere to be found?

What do I do? I dont trust that dealer in town that much to be honest I deal with another dealer thats farther away. But I actually have small shop mechanic do all my work. The work was subbed to this dealer by the collision place, and I was fine with that. Now Im having problems.

I have started to hear this word "normal wear and tear" alot in the last 4 or 5 conversations, with people.

Im trying to be calm. This truck is under my commercial policy. I havent updated my signature but it plowed last year. Its fully covered, the work that was done, the $1000 deductable was paid, plus the extra work I wanted was paid for.
  2. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

it's an 03.
    it's 5 years old.
    wear and tear is right.
    Stuff fails. (I could say esp. on Dodge's, but I won't. ;) )

it worked for 6 months after they fixed it.

I simply don't see how the PCM is related to the door, 6 months later after it's all fixed.

All insurance has to do is put you back to where you were. They did that, it worked and it worked for 1/2 a year. (1 week later, sure, 6 months later, no, probably not related)

I don't think you have anything to be upset about with the insurance company. Dodge maybe for the $1000 part failing, but trust me, that kind of stuff happens on any vehicle.

Ok I understand its older. And I even understand wear and tear. But the fact that I have not had any troubles with this truck untill the break in, and the key reprogramming should have lasted, so it didnt and as I suggested they should have replaced the ignition cause it is damanged and now they are. The reason why the key programmig didnt work is because the cylinder around the ignition is damaged so it cant actaully read the key and there for must have not read it and wont allow the truck to start.
    However now all of a sudden my computer is dead the mechanic says. That seems a little strange dont you think?
  4. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Well then take it to another dealer!

If its Key and cylinder problems... then what dose the PCM have to do with it?

Maybe B&B can help us ont on understandong this

This is exactly my point... what does the pcm have to do with this?
    Im going to ask if it can go to another dealer, I have thought about it and that seems like the only logical solution cause I really dont know why the pcm would have a problem.

I have not heard from the insurance yet... but they were paying for the cylinder and reprogram as it should have been replaced in the original claim and they see that now. They had that sent to this dealer. However now that the pcm is a problem according to the dealer. Should I have to pay for this? Has anyone had to replace a pcm on a dodge around that age? My other dodges, are 2nd gens and have never had pcm problems.
  6. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Sounds like the dealer is trying to make money !

Make another Thread, asking if any one has had to change there PCM....

I posted a question in the dodge part.