1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My hinge broke on my Vplow again

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Antlerart06, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I know its a stress point I had to fix it again First time I took it apart and fix This time wasnt going do that Fix it on the plow was broken in 2 places

SNLS 001.JPG

SNLS 002.JPG

SNLS 003.JPG

SNLS 004.JPG
  2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

You need to take it apart and make make a new plate up and weld it back on. If you try and fix it half azz again you'll keep breaking it again and again.
  3. Jacobsmovinsnow

Jacobsmovinsnow Senior Member

Drill some 3/16 inch holes in the pipes and grease em with a needle attachment on the grease gun. R U sure that it isnt gettin seized up????????????
  4. RepoMan1968

RepoMan1968 Senior Member

your not getting good enough penetration on welds . also , there aint much steel left , the rust has taken over, i recomend buying new parts instead of bandaids. that area is a stressfull push point .
  5. Antlerart06

Its 1999 model 2003 when I fix it first time And did what you said the bottom plate But now the Center hinge is broke to
  6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'm looking at wrong side. it still needs taken apart no matter how you look at it. To Jacob, you can grease it all you want but if you hit something hard it will still break. But judging by the pin your right I think someone is a little scared of the grease gun. Our Boss V's have grease oozing out everywhere.
  7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

So you want him to buy a brand new wing? I think I'd try fixing it proper one more time before I spent that much coin.
  8. RepoMan1968

i dont want him to do anything . i recommended it . welds dont hold up on rust very well .

so you want him to break down one more time ?
  9. Mr. Mud

Mr. Mud Member

May be I'm looking at this wrong. Is the second picture the bottom hinge? If it is, aren't you supposed to have a plate running out from the middle section that the hinge pin drops into? I don't see that. Maybe you already took it apart. My old RT-2 was that way. Mine failed like that, I realized then I had let the the cutting edges wear tooooo farrrrrr and that plat wore through and broke. Then with some back dragging or hitting piles on one side otr the other finally made the bottom hinge and the middle hinge fail. My own fault for not noticing! anyway, I was fortunate that I din't lose the plow. I'd check to see if you are missing a piece on the bottm, as that is what it looks like from that view. MUD
  10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

It's just surface rust, I'd take it apart and fix it but that's just me. We have blades ranging from pretty much brand new to 30 years old. If fixed properly it will be as good as new.
  11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'm pretty sure the left wing plate comes off the bottom and he broke the right side. I was thinking the same as you on my first post. If i was energetic I would go out and look at my blade. Also the only reason the upper part of the hinge cracked was because the bottom part cracked first.
  12. Antlerart06

Well I tac weld center in place then I Took it apart reason couldnt get in there to Grind the cracks out Forgot my camera so didnt get any pics of the work
  13. snowbelt5

snowbelt5 Member

My boss plow is 8 years old and i plow around 100 hrs a season and it hardly has any rust at all. But i powerwash it after each storm. i never let salt sit on it which is corrosive and probably what is eating your welds.
  14. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Hungry salt doesn't only eat concrete, it eats welds too.

But seriously, seriously?
  15. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Mine is 10 years old and so far the only thing that got welded was the brackets for the return springs. Last time mine was washed ,I think JD took a leak on it and drinking beer all night!
  16. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I pee'd beside it, I'd never let urine touch such a fine plow.
  17. RepoMan1968

urine tends to be very acidic . wouldn't advise that:laughing:
  18. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah its rusty, cant you grind it down? take a grinder to it and then a heavy wire brush to get as much off as possible!

You can always take that center pin out once a year to grease the crap out of if its proving to be a problem.