1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My head is starting to spin...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Plowbie, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Plowbie

Plowbie Member

I purchased a '97 Ford F150 4x4 V8 Auto about a month ago. I didn't buy it to plow with specifically but now that I have it I'm thinking I would like to pick up a plow to do my own driveway (150 ft) and maybe a handful of other driveways on my street to help offset the price of the plow (and i love snow and being out in it!).

I think I posted for some initial advice before and have also spent countless hours reading old posts and manufacturers websites. Instead of feeling more informed my head is spinning faster than it did before I started. I don't know which way to go!

Some takeaways I've picked up regarding the different types whether true or not:
    1. Snobear Type low end - probably won't hold up under too much plowing. my truck is probably too big for it anyway.
    2. Mid-level such as Meyers Homesteader - Western Suburbinite - pretty good equipment but expensive. for the price i could spend a little more and get a light duty version of a standard plow? on paper i think these are a good bet for me but i really don't know.
    3 Standard plow - best performance but could stress my truck out which as a 1/2 ton isn't really made for it(?). for the most part it is not a daily driver for me but rather a work truck if it matters.

Money was initially a concern and still is somewhat. But honestly now I'm really just looking for the best value for my needs. One thing I guess I haven't really done is call around for all the pricing for everything. So if anyone has been in my shoes and remembers the ballpark pricing you saw for different setups I'd love to hear it.

By the way, I'm in southern Connecticut. If anyone can recommend a local dealer I'm all ears. If I had to guess I'd say we get a 5-10" storm every 1-2 weeks in the winter but it varies. Probably 50-100" per year.
    Your advice is appreciated :help:
  2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I see plenty of 150's around with plows on them. Get yourself a set of timbrens from Big Nate and yours should handle a 7.6 just fine. :waving:
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

The Homesteader is by Fisher. Fisher and Western are owned by the same parent company. Meyer is a competitor. Kind of like saying "Ford Impala".

For what you're saying, these would be good. However, if there is a chance you'll expand your plowing range, go for the 7.5' RD. With either the Homesteader or Suburbanite, you shouldn't need any load booster (ie: Timbrens).
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2004
  4. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

I agree with the BOSS, my buddy has a new 150, we put a set of Timbrens on his truck and the thing barely lowers when the plow is lifted.
  5. Plowbie

Plowbie Member

My bad on the Fisher/Meyer Homesteader thing! :nono:

I just called a Fisher dealer in my area and the ignorance was almost too much to take. The info for the '97 F150 is not loaded correctly into the Fisher plow selector software online. It gives '96 engine and weight ratings which is 5.4 litre V8 and 3400 pounds. When he asked what my front rating was and I said 3200 pounds he said "Sorry" NO Fisher plow could go on my truck, not even the Homesteader! I tried to explain he wasn't even looking at the proper stats for my vehicle and he just started getting mad. If you just put it as a '98 everything comes up matching my truck and it recommends the Homesteader (although nothing else).

I finally told him to just assume I had a '98 and if I could please have a price. $2995 installed. I can destroy 3 snowbears for that price so I'll make some more calls.
  6. scholzee

scholzee Senior Member

For money concerns have you thought about used ? There are a several in the Buffalo NY paper 4 year old Western and Meyers 7' 6" for $1000 to $1500. You will have power angle and better lift than a snow bear for a similar price.
  7. Ian03

Ian03 Senior Member

Plowbie, definitely go used. I am getting into plowing this year but didn't want to drop 4 grand either. I bought a used 7.5 Foot Fisher for 1200.00 bucks and a friend helped me wire it up for nothing. Only thing you will have to buy is a set of mounts unless the plow came off the same truck as what you own, typically 200-400. Good luck and try to get a full steel plow, or a Snoway which is Lexan. I was told to avoid the snowbear and the homesteader because you will probably outgrow it the first storm.
  8. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

First of all the dealer is dead wrong, it seems to be a trend with most new england fisher dealers now. Its like that commercial (i don't know if you have seen it) where all the guy does is say no. It makes me very mad when a dealer denys a plow for a perfectly plow capeable truck. The fact that he did not even recommend a plastic homesteader, which is as you put it best too small for the truck". Fisher makes a mount for your truck, your truck is 4X4, you can put any fisher on it up to a 7'6" RD series if you would like. The dealer must go strictly by the books and if he sees no specs he is too LAZY to do the work and find out what he has to in order to install a plow. If that dealer is full of sh*t then find another. Worst comes to worst you can purchase a plow from the dealer (they should let you take it away if you say that you will install yourself and sign a waiver. Pay some "private installer", they are around, i know a few and the guy I know well does it out of his small welding shop and installs all brands. I really think you should be able to find a good fisher dealer to install an RD series 7'6" or an LD 7'6". If not find a western dealer or a meyer dealer, or a blizzard dealer in your area. I have a Curtis 7'6" plow on a 2000 F-150 Ext. Cab and according to Fisher i would be WAY overweight at 750 LBS. Truth is the truck does not drop an inch with the plow raised. Your truck can take 550 LBS without a problem, it seems to be a trend among fisher dealers lately they say nothing but no. They told my friend that he could not put ANY plow on his F-250 4X4 Ext Cab because it did not have plow prep, and it would "fall apart". Blizzard is a great option so is curtis as neither of these dealers will deny any "reasonable plow request". 550 LBS is more then reasonable for your truck. Another, cheaper opton, is a used plow (unless you perfer new), some places sell used plows and you see them in the paper all the time. Good Luck and remember, your truck can easily handle a standard electric/hydraulic plow.
  9. Plowbie

Plowbie Member

I think the hunt is on for used then. I called and got some prices on some others, Meyers, Curtis,etc ranging from $3300-3900. I'm not saying they aren't worth what they cost, just a matter of what they are worth to me.

I'll find it though. Thanks for all the responses! It is appreciated. :waving:
  10. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

I went with a used plow for my '96 Chevy. For less than a new Homesteader (not installed) I got a nearly new (only used for personal use 2 seasons) Fisher 7'6" RD Minute Mount 1 with the updated electical package, Insta Act hydraulic pack, and the bolt on cutting edge installed by the local dealer.
  11. jsheedy75

jsheedy75 Member
    from CT

i love how they said an f250 would fall apart. the only thing that is changed in the plow prep package are springs and a sway bar.
  12. heliski989

heliski989 Member
    from mi

ive got an 1998 f150 with a meyer st 7.5 it isnt the plow that is sugested for that truck but it works aswome. it doesnt even sit low like a alot of the cheavy 2500s do. all in all i was super impresed with ablity of the truck and dont let any one tell you diffrent.

also angelos has meyer easy mount plows for around 3000 might be worth checking out.
  13. Plowbie

Plowbie Member

i saw the title of this thread and thought "that looks familiar". sure enough i started it 2 months ago!

yeah i'm all set now. i bought a used meyer st7.5 last month for $1200 and finally installed it myself this past weekend. just had a good snow yesterday and it did great!
    you're right, it handles it just fine. i was very impressed. this is gonna be a great setup for me.

my nose does drop a bit when i raise it . it doesn't really bother me enough to spend $150 on something like timbrens which i guess would reduce it. we'll see.