1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My guy backed into a 03 Mercedes!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lowcostlawns, Dec 25, 2008.

Tags:
  1. lowcostlawns

lowcostlawns Junior Member

Well we have been doing great this year so far, but unfortunately on the 24th my guy was backing out of a driveway and backing into another when he tapped a 03 Mercedes C230 I think. Well he tapped the hatch on it and caused 3200 dollars in damage!!!! The owner completely understood and was really cool about it. I was going to out of pocket pay for it but I had to turn it into insurance because it was a little to much. The owner took it to mercedes for an estimate. We do two huge HOA type complexes, should I be worried about losing them as an account over this? I do understand that accidents happen. I hope the property manage does! That would be a pretty low blow if they dropped us over something like this.

2. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

I would really doubt they would drop you over that. Sh** happens.

3. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

As long as you handle it, they don't have to deal with anything about it, and it doesn't cost them anything. then likely they don't care

4. Dodge318

Dodge318 Junior Member

How would HOA even know? If you make it right with the guy, He isn't likely to complain about it to anyone.

I've always found people to very forgiving on accidents provided you make it right with them in a timely manner. About 5 years ago when I first started plowing I was running a truck for my uncle. It was one of those rain all day freeze and turn to about 4" of snow. We had an account with a steep driveway down to the garage and I slid right through the garage door. Luckily there wasn't a car inside. The guy was cool about it and we hung a brand new garage door two days later. After that was done, He called my uncle and gave him lawn and snow contracts on every one of his apartments (12 in all) because he was so impressed with how quickly the situation was handled. It probably helped that his previous plow guy smashed into a car at one of his buildings and tried to lie about it that very day. But the moral remains the same, Come clean and fix it quick and you can turn a negative into a positive.

5. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Well, if you're gonna hit something, may as well be expensive!!! :D

6. lowcostlawns

I was very quick about staying in contact with him, I think I was very good about getting things lined up for him. Surprisingly I didnt have to pay my deductible because of the contractor policy I have with state farm. Do you guys think my rates are going to skyrocket?

7. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I doubt your rates would sky rocket. How many claims have you had. $3200 is pretty cheap to the insurance company. I bet the negotiate it even lower then that. I would have asked the insurance company about an increase and then decided if I were to pay it myself.

8. Dodge318

Dodge318 Junior Member

Probably not. It's really a pretty small claim in the insurace world. Maybe 10-15% at worst provided that is all that's on you record.

9. lowcostlawns

No other claims besides that! We do plenty of business with them so i doubt a major increase?