1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My Grandpa bought this truck brand new in 1954 I bought it yesterday

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by SNOWLORD, Oct 24, 2010.

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

My Grandpa bought this truck new from the local IH dealer in 1954 its an IH heavy half ton straight six, 39,900 actual miles I drove it home about 30 miles got her up to 60mph runs like a top. I am the third owner, Everything is original except the goofy mirrors he put on it and the signals on the front fenders, which I will be taking off shortly.
  2. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

AWESOME!!!!! I envy you for that piece of memorabilia!
  3. RangerDogg

RangerDogg Senior Member
    from ma

Love it good luck with it.
  4. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

haha more like 159,000 or 259,000 i'm sure
  5. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

That's awsome that you kept in the family that long. My family has a history of keeping tractors in our family.
  6. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

When Dodge came out with the current Ram series in the nineties, they called it revolutionary. I ask you to compare the Ram to the International and you tell me who had the idea first
  7. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

What are you talking about? there's no 5 anywhere in there. And it sounds like he knows the history on it and 100k is pretty far to be off on.
  8. PrimoSR

PrimoSR Senior Member

Awesome! You gonna deliver wood in that thing or what?!
  9. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

that is sweet looking i agree 100% w you about those mirrors those look absolutely awful those belong on like an 80s f150. i like how its considered a "heavy half" but its like the equivalent of a 1 ton single wheel today
  10. Dave T

Dave T Senior Member
    from NE PA

Man that ole timer is in great shape. Wouldn't take much to bring it back to mint condition.
  11. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

Thats awesome that your grandfather owned the truck..sold it and you were able to get it back. Sweet ride man!
  12. darryl g

darryl g Senior Member
    from CT

Wow. Looks like that baby would be a pretty easy restoration.

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

The miles are actual, this I know.

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

Thinking about delivering a face cord with it this week I will be real careful if I do though.
  15. PrimoSR

PrimoSR Senior Member

I would restore it, get it looking really nice, put a couple of magnets on the doors, put a little wood in the bed and use it as a rolling advertisement. That's just me though.
  16. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

gotta be one of the dumbest statements I've seen on here ..... wow :dizzy:

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

I was kidding I think I am gonna have the dents fixed and repaint the outside and rims and such. Probably leave the interior for now its not bad and if I get the outside looking good it could be in a parade or two. I dont know Im just darn proud to have it. Im going to the old gentlemen who is the son of the man that sold it to my grandpa and see if they have the original reciept. Its a very old family run dealer and they keep everything so I have my fingers crossed.
  18. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Very cool piece of family history right there.
  19. DrakeSabitch

DrakeSabitch Senior Member

awesome truck sir. like most people here i am jealous as well. enjoy it.
  20. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

what a pos.

just kiddin