1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My fualt or their's

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by one ton dually, Jan 26, 2005.

1. one ton dually

one ton dually Member

:mad: :mad: Well we got 4"-5" of snow today,and I was plowing one of my lot's,and one of the worker's from the place I was plowing was in a hury to get back to his shop for a part for a job they were doing,and I was backing up with my 79 BLACK one ton dump,and I have a sweet mini bar strobe on top,and two 4"round light's for back up light which were on,and as I was backing up this son of a ----- tried sneaking behind me so when I got back far enough he could cut in front of me.Well nedless to say the idiot didn't have enough time,and when he got behind me he stopped,and I backed right into his front left fender.It was a 1995 Ford E-350 van.But seeing that I was backing up it will probaly be consider my fualt,and their goes insurance rate's.It didn't hurt my truck at ALL but it put one hell of a dent in his fender.All it got was his fender.But my black box left a real nice dent on his white fender.Why would you pull behind,and stop behind a truck backing up in motion with enough light's on the truck to land a plane.No ticket's were issued but the law was called for report.Do yea all think it will be my fualt becouse I was backing up?What a day.What a dumb A#*! :mad: :mad:
  2. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

I have had 2 minor fender benders and my business insurance never went up. I have to side with you though. Anyway, if he claims it on your insurance, call your insurance and explain the situation to them. Call the officer that showed up, and make it known that he is trying to get you. Make a stink about it, and maybe the guy will back down. Bring the adjuster out to the scene and show him exactly what happened. Don't let some ignorant shmutz take advantage of you.
  3. dforbes

dforbes Senior Member

Missouri is a no fault state. which means the insurance adjuster would investigate, then they might say 60% your fault 40% his.
  4. drplow

drplow Senior Member

tell him to screw off. he's lucky your truck did not get wrecked. tell your ins. company and they might think he was reckless and looking for insurance money. refuse to pay and it might get stuck in insurance limbo for a long time. :yow!:
  5. one ton dually

one ton dually Member

Who's fualt

I have big west coast type OEM mirror's which are real nice,and they show everything,and their was no van in either mirror,and i was inmotion already when he tried sneaking behind me.My rear bumper is 1/4"steel -10"C channel with a beefy trailer hitch that bolt's to both the truck,and bumper.It didn't scratch my truck.(LOL)If this is the case how come the idiot didn't beep his horn.Why couse he was trying something dumb,and I know couse it happen's to all us plow guy's.You know the impatient jerk--- that can't wait 1/2 of a minute,and try's sneaking behind you.It mostly happen's to me alot in parking lot's.Kinda like when im backing the dumptruck,and trailer with bulldozer into a driveway,and their's that idiot that sneak's threw behind you.I will play the insurance game,and run him threw the rope's.Im just a little guy with 3 plow truck's.
  6. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

MO sucks for insurance. I was in a 4 car accident a couple of years ago in my NEW Z28 Convertible. This ***** pulls out in front of the car infront of me and forces her to slam on her brakes i slam mine and don't hit the car in front of me. The guy behind me was trying to stop his dually on RR tracks and hit me at about 45. then he got hit again. Well, those two hits pushed me into the car infront of me. I got a ticket for following too close ( even though i didn't hit her before i was hit) and my insurance company decided that i was 5% at fault. WE ALL HAD THE SAME INSURANCE COMPANY. That was the main problem.
  7. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

If he was pulling in or out of a spot or crossing behind you while you were backing down a main aisle with lights running, I would think if it were to go to trial (I know it wont) they would call it his fault. Did he admit to being in a hurry to get back?
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2005
  8. Mark F

Mark F Senior Member

Its your fault you were backing up. You should of stopped and let him go by.
    I always yield even if I'm going forward. Always give the other guy the benefit of the doubt. Even if you have to wait. Its the safest way.
  9. DJDarknez

DJDarknez Member

If he can't see the vehicle behind him, then there's not much he can do.

Does your dump have a back-up alarm on it? If not, that might be something to consider getting. Just another way to cover your ass.
  10. 4speed

4speed Member

Dually, Have you explained the situation to the business owner? You never know, he might just let it slide.
    People Can really be dumb. I used to deliver to convenience stores and instead of waiting 30 seconds for me to back the tractor trailer in, there would be a line of traffic going over the curb, across the grass and down the sidewalk. (HOW DARE YOU INCONVENIENCE ME! :redbounce ) Good luck . Let us know how it turns out.
  11. SCBrown

SCBrown Junior Member

Stupid People

One of my stops is a convalescent home.
    I was stacking the snow, blade sitting on top of a big pile and some lady pulls right behind me and parks, runs into the place, leaving me pinned.
    I just sat there for a minute thinking, you have got to be f'in kidding me!
    I go inside to find her and she is pissed that she has to go back outside to move her car.
    Just can't believe how dumb people are.
  12. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I plow this large plaza that has a driveway behind for deliveries. Everyone used it for a short cut to the main road. When it snows I plow in the entrance way first so no one can use it.

I would talk to the owner and explain the situation. Tell him you would be willing to split the cost with him If it is only the fender then your half might be less then your deductable. This is why I no longer have my salting truck plowing. There is always some idiot trying to race you some where and some of the time it is someone walking.
  13. one ton dually

one ton dually Member

Who's fualt

When I looked in my mirror's,and continued to look in mirror when I was backing up he was nowhere's in sight.He came flying in and tried getting behind me.Believe me if I would of saw him I would of stopped and waited but I didn't get that chance.Im a very careful driver.I have a CDL A,and that's my life.No beeper,but I do have big BACKUP light's.I know when I see back up light's it mean's be careful their's someone backing up.I think if it was my fault he would of at least beeped a horn our something.Make's me sick to even think about it. :mad: