1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

my front end problem...

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mcwlandscaping, Jun 25, 2007.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Not sure what is up with my truck but, here is what happens, only sometimes though. It almost feels as if there is a bump stop in my steering when turning to the left only slightly past center point, you kind of have to force the steering past that point for it to turn. It does this slightly to the other side as well. The weird part is is that it only does it sometimes. And when it does it once in the morning, it'll be like that all day, then the next day it could be fine for a week or more. I have absolutely no clue what's going on with it. I know i need a front end alignment but i have since day one and nothing like this has been happening until about a month and a half ago. It just doesn't feel safe to have it doing that. Anyone have any ideas?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Refresh my memory MCW, didn't you replace some steering/suspension components recently on your truck? What all did you replace?

3. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Mike, I think you need to replace some pieces up there. Sounds like it could be balljoints. Check your tierods, pitman arm and drag link, sway bar bolts and bushings, and any other vital front end components. AND GET AN ALIGNMENT!!! LOL

4. mcwlandscaping

last october the steering box was replaced, that was all

5. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Hey Mike, my 91 had the same problem, only to the left and everynow and then. It was almost like the power steering was frozen or something.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I'd first get the truck up in the air and cycle the steering back and forth checking for any binding in the linkage but depending on where you got the box (new,reman or used) I'd be highly suspicious of the replacement box since you said that it does it on either side of "on center" which can be caused by a defective/mis-adjusted sector shaft roller inside the box. Defective steering is a major saftey issue and not to be taken lightly.

7. mcwlandscaping

Truck will hopefully be taken in the beginning of next week to be checked out. Its starting to annoy me......the box was new factory replacement. There really isn't any binding because when accelerating and the front lifts a lil (not like off the ground) it doesn't do it.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Since you discovered that the height of the suspension seems to change the problem, I'd check for problems in the ball joints, the outer tie rods and ESPECIALLY the front half shafts as their the only things that change angle as the suspension moves through its travel. An inner tie rod, pitman arm or idler arm wouldn't be affected when the ride height changes.

9. mcwlandscaping

Truck got dropped off last night to see what was up with it...i'll let you guys know when i know!

10. mcwlandscaping

Picked up the truck this afternoon, the problem was the pitman arms is what i was told.....$217.15 including the alignment and it works like brand new!! I couldn't be happier as i was expecting to drop the $700 or so like sydenstricker did!!

11. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Mike, I have come to realize that I get the worst end of the deal every time, lol. But Im glad you got your truck back!!! Sounds like it was a pretty darn easy fix too.