1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

my fisher plow overhaul

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by mass1589, Oct 2, 2012.

1. mass1589

mass1589 Senior Member
    from mass

well i was looking for a cheap plow to get me through this winter. i ended up getting a conventional style minute mount 1 snow plow. for a grand total of $0.00 ( free ) it was from my fathers work they didnt have a truck for it and it has been sitting in there shop for a few years. then i got a set of 11 pin lights mint condition from morrisey snow removal on here! $100.00. also i got an insta act pump and wires to make it a three plug setup for $500.00. he was a great guy to deal with!!

when i got it home it was in rough shape....but my dads work had a bunch of fisher paint soo he also got me a gallon for free! i decided to call fisher and they hooked me up with a free set of stickers!! i tore the plow apart completely. i used a wire wheel grinder on the entire setup. then put around 8 coats of yellow, and three coats of black paint. reassembled it and now im just waiting on three new hoses!

2. mass1589

mass1589 Senior Member
    from mass

more pics work in progress

3. mass1589

mass1589 Senior Member
    from mass

yes i know the blade has some rust....especially the hole on the top above the fisher stocker but for what it is im not bothering with it....next year im going to be looking for a v plow!!
  4. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

for the price, good deal. nice job bringing it back from the dead man!
  5. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 Senior Member

Looks great! What was the pump system before the insta-act? Just old fastion hydraulic?
  6. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Based on the first pic: underhood hydraulics but still minute mount
  7. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Not sure why you would sand/wire wheel, prep and paint or whatever and not fix the rust on the moldboard (even for free or otherwise). I am sure you spent a lot of time prepping and painting. It would have taken just a little more time to make a patch or two and weld them in or have them welded in if you cannot do that yourself. I know it will still move snow as I have seen worse though. You would also have increased the re-sale value of the plow to sell it later on to upgrade for what you want going down the road. Kind of a waste of time in my eyes even with the new stickers.
  8. bigthom

bigthom Senior Member

vry nice. dnt matter them tiny holes, it still pushes snow
  9. mass1589

mass1589 Senior Member
    from mass

thanks guys....yes it was under the hood hydraulics before the insta act setup...
  10. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Good work! Should get the job done! Nice to see stuff brought back to life! Not all of us need brand new equiptment!
  11. mass1589

mass1589 Senior Member
    from mass

Exactly for my truck and plowing needs this is more than fine
  12. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Im in the same boat. I dont do a whole lot of plowing so i couldnt justify going out and droppin 4k on a new plow. So i found a used one and am fixing it up yet as we speak. Did the same as you too, contacted western and they sent me a complete set of new decals for free! I'm impressed that companies are willing to send them out to people that want to keep their product looking good.

13. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

looks like new!
  14. mass1589

mass1589 Senior Member
    from mass

im thinking about putting it on craigslist....i have already had two offers on it hmmmm
  15. wolfmobile8

wolfmobile8 Senior Member

looks good.