1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

my first truck

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by cubplower, Mar 8, 2011.

1. cubplower

cubplower Senior Member

hey guys, i finally got my first truck. its an 89' f150, shes a little beat up but ill take it for free ;)

f150b.jpg

2. cubplower

cubplower Senior Member

As for plows, i may be goin this weekend to look at a 7 1/2 foot meyers

3. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Congrats on the truck. You can't beat free. What does it have for an engine? You should put a 7.5' Fisher on it IMO.

I bought a 1985 F-150 that I bought to sell. I bought it for $500 and sold it for $800. It was a pretty good truck from what I could se. But, I never ran it much.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  4. cubplower

cubplower Senior Member

its got a 5.0 in it with a 4 speed manual. i would put a fisher but i dont have the money to buy new, and theres alot more meyers complete setups around me.

5. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

Look around for a Fisher speedcast, shouldn't be hard to find one for that truck plus they don't normally cost a lot of money.

6. mercer_me

Ya, a Fisher Speed Caster should be easy to find for fairy cheap. It's also alot better plow than the Meyer IMO.

Is the 5.0 the 300 strait 6 or the 302 V8?

7. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

302 V8.

Nice looking truck, almost like you stole it :laughing: I'd look for a Fisher before a Meyer.

8. joey7599

joey7599 Senior Member
    from MA

yeah fisher all the way

9. cubplower

cubplower Senior Member

haha, every body around here seems to be meyer people lol, im gonna buy whats on the market cheap haha but my uncle has the same plow im lookin at so he has spare parts too.

10. mercer_me

The 1985 F-150 I had last Summer had a 300 strait 6. Everybody I talked to said they would rather have a 300 over the 302. I'm not a Ford guy so I don't know much about either of them.

11. cubplower

cubplower Senior Member

yea from what i hear the straight sixes had alot of power for being only a 6 cylinder. this motor only has about 25000 on it so thats a plus.

12. mercer_me

Hear are a couple pictures of the 1985 F-150 I had last Summer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. 76ranger

76ranger Junior Member
    from Indiana

The straight six is a much better motor than the 302. It will last a whole lot longer i just sold my 87 which had over 350,000 miles. And the low end torque is really high the only thing i could not get it to pull was a tree out of the ground.

14. cubplower

cubplower Senior Member

mercer_me you should've saved it as a backup lol. looks like you had to redo the shock mounts too. did you make that flat bed or did it come like that?

76ranger thats crazy to have put that many miles on the truck itself!

15. havenlax18

havenlax18 Senior Member

cubplower, are you young and just starting? nice truck. Go with the fisher.

16. mercer_me

I didn't do a thing to it. I bought it as it is in the pictures. The truck was a major POS it was all roted out and the frame was getting thin. Most of the body was just spray foam. It was not worth fixing up. It did have a good engine and transmition though. It originaly had a step side bed but, the guy who had it before me cut the sides off and left the floor. :dizzy: If anybody needs fiberglass step side fenders for a F-150 let me know becouse I have two that are in exelent shape.

17. cubplower

cubplower Senior Member

you should of made it a mud truck! lol

18. cubplower

cubplower Senior Member

havenlax18- yea im 15 now, ive been been shoveling for my uncle for a few years

19. mercer_me

It would have bean a good mud truck. But, I wanted to make money. I have bought 3 plow trucks now and I made money on all of them.

20. Nismothunder

Nismothunder Junior Member

Thats a nice truck for being free. We have the same trucks but mine doesnt have the flares on the front.

302 4spd stick.

I'd rather have a 302 over a 300 I6 personally. Ethier carbed or FI the 300 I6 is a gutless engine even compaired too a 302. 145hp@3500rpm and 265lbs of tourqe@ 2500 vs 185hp@3800 and 270lbs of tourqe. Not much of a diffrence but theres some.

If you want I can tell you how too find the gear ratio and common problems with that style Ford since mine has been in my family since new.