1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

my first time plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by coppertec, Dec 10, 2013.

1. coppertec

coppertec Member
    from calgary

Hey all, I thought I would share some of my thoughts and experiences on my first month of plowing. Its been a fun experience so far and any reservations about my return on investment have washed away. I'm glad I made the leap into going big time. I'm currently only really doing subcontracting through another company here. I picked the right season to get into this too it seems because we have had about 50cm across 8-9 storms in the last month (one was a 25cm blizzard) , so with 2cm triggers, I've been a busy boy. All of my lots are clear at night, which i love. I still work my day job at the dealership 5 days a week, so my time management has been beastmode. I'll admit that I'm looking forward to a breather this week, since I'm going out for the 3rd night in a row.

My truck has been going pretty strong too. The 4x4 noise has me a bit concerned since I only have one truck at the moment. Also, the cracked washer fluid tank means I had messy shields a lot, but i upgraded my wipers and installed a snow deflector, which has done the trick. I've doomed my back bumper 3 times now, so it's taken a beating, but I'm getting familiar with the size of this cruise ship, so from here on I should be ok. My next truck will probably be a short box with an extended cab or something(backup cam?)
    One fifth into the season and I'm already thinking about how I can expand next season. Second truck, or a bobcat. One or two employees. Lots that i manage on top of ones I subcontract etc.
    I've already got my foot in the door with oil companies and car dealerships that would take me on when I grow, so I can't help but have dollar signs in my eyes.

Can't wait to see what is in store for me over the next few months!I also wanna thank this site for the insight, peace of mind, and help with research that has been provided.
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Good for you,plan for a dry season to.
  3. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

Lets see some pictures of the truck!
  4. coppertec

coppertec Member
    from calgary

some pics of the conditions here + of my truck

5. coppertec

coppertec Member
    from calgary

sorry that they are coming in upside down
    a side profile is here too:

yes im cautiously optimistic about having a dry season. the last 2 seasons were dry compared to what we've already seen, so it's sto;; fresh in my head. as it is, ive almost broken even for my first year, and there is still 4-5 more months to go!
    if mother nature continues to put out, i'll hit my 5 year breakeven goal (truck+plow paid off)
    at the end of the day, this is part time, so everything over and above is gravy. im just happy it just seems to be working

6. Snoviper

Snoviper Senior Member

Looks good!Thumbs Up
  7. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Sounds good... but you really need to get someone to teach you how to use a camera ;)
  8. coppertec

coppertec Member
    from calgary

Hey, i push snow and sell cars..
    I'll leave that witchcraft to the artsie fartsie types rofl
  9. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

Thumbs Up................Welcome to the snow plowing industry
  10. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

He probably uses that brand new truck with the plow on and beats the crap out of it,Then the sales guy tells you ,they never used it to plow the lot. But you look at the cutting edge already worn in for you and spilled coffee on the coffee holder!
  11. coppertec

coppertec Member
    from calgary

Don't worry about that! It came from the factory like that.
  12. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Is it hard to plow upside down? Or are you in Australia? HA HA :dizzy::jester::laughing:Thumbs Up
  13. Stove

Stove Member

Good luck!!
  14. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Holy motion sickness. What a ride that was.
  15. coppertec

coppertec Member
    from calgary

When is snowing sideways up from down isn't as crucial lol!
  16. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Seems to be a few Ozzies on here today.:rolleyes:

Good luck with your aspirations, as you can only go so far as your mind will take you.
  17. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

Makin money is nice, but slow down a bit and stop smashing the new truck bumper!!
  18. coppertec

coppertec Member
    from calgary

I call it plowing by braille
  19. poopdeckpappy

poopdeckpappy Member
    from KC,KS

It's a good feeling to see guys go out and taste success the same way that I have! There's nothing like being in control of your current and future financial status. It's a high in and of itself.

Nice truck and plow. Do the best you can now on rust prevention to secure a higher resale value when your tired of looking at her. I might even buy it!