1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

my first 'snow post' here

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by kitzy, Aug 21, 2002.

1. kitzy

kitzy Junior Member
    from PA

My first post here...tried a search under 'elements of business' but that thread has been inactive.
    I have a commercial account (2 large new car dealerhips side by side). Yesterday the owner calls me and asks me if I'm interested in doing all their 'detail' snowblowing. They have a contract for the big plowing but the guy has damged too many cars when he does the tight work. I own 2 honda 621's...great one stage machines...anyway, I had not planned on doing much if any snow removal but this could be a nice situation in the dead of winter. I know nothing about pricing snowblowing...zero, nada, zilch....would some of you be able to give some pricing guidlines, contract structure tips etc?? I doubt I can use the rate for this work that I use for landscaping and mowing....but maybe I'm wrong...thanks very much for your advice...Kitzy
  2. mulchmonkey2000

mulchmonkey2000 Senior Member

Kitzy....what part of Pa are you in? I think that you really have to ask around your area to see what others are charging. I know areas around here that guys are charging one price for something and then 15 miles down the road they charge about 25% more for the same job b/c of the town they are in. I think that if they are a big dealership and have a couple locations you should have no problem charging them your hourly rate to snowblow. Maybe i'm wrong but that is my opinion.
  3. kitzy

kitzy Junior Member
    from PA

MulchMonkey...now that s funny name!!
    I'm in the Harrisburg/Carlisle area....2 different LCOS I work with got back to me today and said that it is well within reason to charge between 35 to 40 per hour with the snowblowing.....obvioulsy the plowing rate is far higher and it should be....so???...if I told you that rate as a customer are you going to gag???? I think thats a reasonable rate....but like I said I dont do snow...but Mr Customer knocked on my door

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

Snow blowing in between cars and other detail work isn't in the normal job description of most snow plow companies, and you may just have a corner on it where you are at. I don't know of many companies around here who would do it at all. So, price accordingly. IF you want to pay a couple guys $10-$12 bucks an hour, and you already have the insurances and such from your summer business, then by charging your 40-50 dollar an hour rate, it could be worth it to you. There sure won't be much overhead.

Just remember though, that the dealership could just hire a couple more employees to do it as well, and probably get it done for $10-$15 an hour, so they may not go for your price.
    The difference is, your willing to do it, and you will be dependable sicnce your business name is at risk, and that is something he will not get usually with low dollar employees.