1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My first snow(HELL) day

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by almostbk1stday, Dec 4, 2005.

1. almostbk1stday

almostbk1stday Member
    from ontario

Its almost too unbeliveable to be true but here goes.....My friend and I have plowed together EVERY winter for 4 years. We got tired of not getting paid on time, under paid, over worked etc so we bought a 91 Ford F150 with a Meyers plow.

First day, the truck overheats no less than 9 times half way thru the route.

We would arrive at customers houses, park the truck and hand shovel the driveway. LOL.
    After the first day, I take the truck in to a shop, paid $700 bucks for some work and a tranny cooler..........Next morning (have to plow) the tranny fluid is all over my driveway when I start the truck,.....back to the shop (lost 2 customers). As we all know, not showing up for the first or second snowfall will do that to most.

I was plowing a driveway and the neighbor comes running up for us to plow, offers us $5, yes $5 bucks to clear her driveway (cuz the truck looked like crap) we took it. Our season fee for a two car garage is $275.

I KNOW IM RAMBLING

Next day, I take the truck back to the dealer, (IM totally stressed out) and demand my money back.......he offers me ALL of my money back less $250 for the two days of use (WOW, IM HAPPY). He then tells me a truck came in the day after I bought this junker. Well, the truck is a 2002 Dodge 2500 V8 with a PLOW (A FREAKIN RELIABLE TRUCK WITH A RELIABLE PLOW)...I call my credit card company and they bump me up enough to buy it.....that night while plowing, I was offered 30 bucks to clear a driveway, given 4 commercial properties (the LOWBALLERS didnt show, thank you) and we got the contracts signed the next morning.

Bottom line, I am $2000 away from completely paying off the truck, my customers are happy and I owe it to this site cuz someone said "Buy as much truck as you can afford". There is no way in hell I would have bought it had I not thought about that comment.

Anyway, Im off to salt, thanks for reading my novel.

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Wow!! Thats it just jump right in with both feet! Now, for some new shovels! Hey, just make sure to paypayup off the credit card fast the interest could eat u[p your profits fast! lol!!
    Good luck plowing and welcome to plowsite.com:drinkup:

3. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

Cool Man !

4. KHB

KHB Member

WoW..Cool story :drinkup: Glad everything worked out :)

5. westwind

westwind Member

Good thing it snowed, sounds like you made the right gamble!