1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My first property damage...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PTSolutions, Jan 28, 2010.

1. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

in over 10 years of plowing and having 200+ accounts i have not hit anything or caused any damage until this morning. I got a new VXT on my truck and its harder to judge distance/straight blade as compared to the flat top boss V i had been using and I got too close to a garage door and put a scuff mark where the top of the blade tapped and a slight dent where the bottom hit.

called the customer and left a message letting them know. hopefully they wont mind too much and ill just give them a free season next year.

my brother and father have both hit things before and now i feel sad...:cry:

2. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Oh well join the restussmileyflag tymusicof us!!!!!!!!!!!!!Now ya wont have to worry about putting on yer "halo" on your way out.:jester:

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Sh*t happens. Cheaper to fix the door then to plow free for a season isn't it?

4. cleansweep007

cleansweep007 Senior Member

That's what I was thinking Hydro. Fix the door it will be cheaper then a big snow season !!

5. big acres

big acres Senior Member

Or have them get it fixed and you will deduct that amount from next season... then you won't get dropped. A nice gift certificate for the troubles would be a nice touch.

6. PTSolutions

Sonuvabitch!!

so, my brother takes my truck out to go finish a couple routes, im at school now, and get a call saying that he hits a garage door too! i swear this plow is cursed! its its first time out too!

we really have to get used to this tapered thing...

we have a friend that does garage doors so ill have to give him a call to see how much the damage will go. but these two particular drives are part of a senior citizen program established by the city and maintained by us private contractors. City implements the rules and prices and solicits customers, contractors take over everything after that. So they get a really good rate and we get ALOT of driveways in a very small radius, 10-15 driveways per street in some cases all within a 1 mile radius.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  7. PTSolutions

and all this during a ****** little ~2" accumulation. it was right at the threshold and we were not even going to go out, but I made the call to go and this is what i get.

8. Lightningllc

Lightningllc 2000 Club Member

I know the feeling 14 years in business never hit anything 1st snowfall this year employee puts a back blade though garage door and hits car. Ough i hate employees!!! There went my good insurance rate.

9. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

About 10 years ago I was pushing piles back in this little SOB driveway with the backhoe, I mean the tightest drive I have. I get a call later that day that I must have hit their custom 16 foot garage door with the boom. I thought "well it is possible" it was a tight drive and the 580K wouldn't even have felt it. I go inspect the damage... small dent right in the middle of the door but no scratches. Turns out their door was frozen to the floor they hit the garage door opener and the 2 horse motor buckled it. I never did the happy dance better than that day. They apologized to me and sent my wife and I out for dinner for my trouble. Good clients to this day.

10. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I had a VXT the first year they came out. I had it for 1.5 snowfalls and called the dealer and said find someone to trade me even up for a regular V.

By the end of the second snowfall I had a regular V on my truck.

I hated the XT part so bad I took a bath on the extra $400 just so I didn't have to worry about trying to judge over and over again after being so used to the regular V.

Look up my posts from roughly '08, you'll see my experiences.

11. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

There is no reason to get that close to the garage door. I don't buy the "can't judge the distance" excuse. You're staring right at the door.

12. PTSolutions

well apparently many of us cant hold a candle to your plowing "prowess". would you take us under your wing and teach us??

after talking to my brother more about his "incident", he doesnt think he hit anything. He had a friend riding along and neither saw the garage door move. they only noticed the scuff on the door when they were backing up, and I remember staking that house personally and noticing alot of dings/dirt on that door. so im gonna leave that one up to the customer, if they call us saying we hit it then ill take care of it.

from what ive heard, Boss might not even be making the flat top V's anymore since the XT have been so popular. I tried it out windrowing a lot we do and can notice a difference in how far it can throw snow, plus it should hold more in scoop as well.

13. WIPensFan

Don't get pissed at me because you hit a garage door. Get your damn shovel out and shovel in front of the door when you're done doing the drive. That extra 1 min. would save you from paying for a new door. You can't get all the snow with the plow anyway. BTW, I've never hit a garage door. :nod:

14. KJ Cramer

KJ Cramer Senior Member

I don't understand, I'm serious, what exactly is the reason you can'judge the distance with the tapered blade, does it stick out more or is it an optical thing, geometrical problem? Just trying to picture whats happening, I'm not being critical, I just don't understand whats happening.

15. WIPensFan

That's because there is no reason to hit the door. :laughing: I would have respected him more if he came out and said, Hey I F--ed up and hit a garage door today because I didn't want to shovel too much snow from in front of the garage door.;)

16. PTSolutions

im not pissed b/c i hit the garage door, i just didnt appreciate your condescending attitude. I manned up and called the customer as soon as it happend, I have no issue with taking responsibility for my actions.

I actually laughed about it and im not dwelling on the fact at all.

what i meant about the tapered blade is that it is harder to tell if the blade is really straight or scooped as compared to the flat top.

and as for shoveling in front of the doors, that isnt done around here, i have not seen any contractor do that, and the reason is because the seasonal rates around here are too low to justify spending any more time on a job than is needed. I would not mind getting out of the truck and shoveling if the customers were willing to pay a decent amount but its hard enough to squeeze an increase in price this year b/c of fuel let alone get them to pay for superior service.

now short of shoveling in front of the garage door, our driveways are absolutely spotless after. with the flat top V had on before, i got within 4 inches of the door, so it was pretty negligible at that point.

we have taken over a large amount of clients that left 2 previous contractors b/c they were shady and hit several doors in one season, told the customers they would take care of it and all of a sudden, you couldnt get a hold of them anymore.

we have even fixed mailboxes that were damaged by city plow trucks just to go that extra mile. and in the spring we get a load of topsoil and some seed and do repairs on all the aprons of our clients. No one does that around here either. we get many compliments for going that extra mile.

17. WIPensFan

Does anybody where you live actually do a job the right way!

"Cut the grass??" "What do you mean cut the grass, we don't do that around here!"

18. PTSolutions

shoveling in front of doors has just never been done, never even had a customer ask for it to be done. Im sure if one company just started doing it people would expect it to be done, but for less money than their previous contractor of course.

there was a thread on here about shoveling in front of garage doors a while back and the overwhelming majority of responses said that they dont do it either.

19. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Keep on fighting I cant stand peace.!!!!!!!!!!!!! :jester: Man did this thread ever go downhill:dizzy:

20. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Dang that's too bad. It's all part of the job though. Everybody expects to be shoveled around here.