1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

my first post

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by calhoun, Oct 23, 2003.

1. calhoun

calhoun Senior Member

Hi, I have been lurking for years and finally registered last sat. I have been a "hobby plower" for about 15 years. I make my living doing construction and kill slow time plowing my own properties and elderly neighbors. Last winter I plowed about 10 times and it takes me about 3 hours to make my rounds. The problems solved and advice taken from this forum has helped a lot. I plow with a 97 K3500(srw) with a 7.5' fisher minute mount with under hood hydrolics. I am presently trying to get it out of it's summer resting place but can't get the pump clutch to engage so I can't move the plow. Worked fine when I droped it, in the field, last spring. Anyone know how to hot wire the pump so I can lift it to transport? Only 2 wires a black with orange and a brown with red.
    I also don't have any low beam lights on the plow frame (blinkers and high work fine) can this be related to the pump problem?

Thanks to all.
  2. wyldman

wyldman Member

You could use a jumper wire(s) to get the clutch activated.It may also just be sticking or siezed up.Give it a few gently taps when it running to see if it will kick in.If your really stuck,jack up the plow with a small jack,and shorten the lift chain,or use the safety chain to hold it up.

The headlamps could be anything.Are they really rusty at the bottom ? Maybe they aren't grounding.Could also be a sticking relay,a wire off somewhere,or a bad connection at the connection plugs.

and welcome to Plowsite :waving:
  3. Sno

Sno Senior Member

Welcome Calhoun

Sorry, I cant help much however I have the same problem with lights and Boss plow.

Problem was found to be the dealer gave me the wrong wirring harness for my truck.

Acording to Boss.. Harms nothing, so I never bothered with getting the correct one as yet.
  4. calhoun

calhoun Senior Member

thanks for the quick replys. I figured I could use jumper wires on the pump but I dont know which wire to jump to. Will I do any damage if I pick the wrong one?

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

Shouldn't do any damage as the magnetic clutches aren't polarity sensitive.It may have a diode built in though,so try it both ways to see if it works.The diode helps prevent backfeed or voltage spikes from the magnetic field collapsing when the clutch is deactivated.