1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My first post - Suburban Fuel pump question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by misterbluesky, Nov 21, 2010.

1. misterbluesky

misterbluesky Junior Member

Hey all,
    Great site here been watching for months; lots of good info & support.
    I have a new to me (6 months ago) 99 Chev. 3/4 ton 4wd suburban with a 454. It had an aftermarket remote start system installed before I bought truck. While on vacation in Vermont camping in August truck would not start at camp ground. Called small town mechanic, he used OBDII reader, computer says truck is trying to be stolen so it shut down fuel pump. He towed truck to his shop & said he would delete remote system & restore factory set up. All went well , drove home, one day in front of house same symptoms & won't start. Use code reader but no issues. No fuel pressure under hood. Starts for 1 second & quits over & over.
    All my buds say fuel pump is bad. Local Chevy parts guy says could be bad wire or connection and one wire feeds fuel pump to start truck & another wire feeds fuel pump truck once started.
    Question now has a few options.
    A) Did not get the factory remote with truck since aftermarket remote came with the truck which is now useless. Is it possible that factory door lock system/ security is somehow engaged & is shutting off fuel? Security light on dash has been on on & off since remote start system was removed.
    B) Should I get a new factory door remote first to eliminate that as possible answer?
    C) Should I just do new pump since it has 127K on truck & 11 years old? Draining & pulling a 44 gallon tank is doable to replace pump but will be a challenge doing in front of house.
    Hope to do this work with out paying some shop $600-800 plus tow job.
    Any help or insight or past experiences would be much appreciated.

PS
    GO EAGLES - BEAT GIANTS

2. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

What did he do to remove the remote system? I would guess it is still an issue with the remote start. I had one in my 98 sierra and it started acting up. It would take a couple of tires to start the truck, waiting 5 minutes or so between start attempts. I pulled the fuse from the remote starter and it was fine after that.

3. misterbluesky

Thanks for the reply. The push button remote for the remote start was home in the drawer on the Vermont trip. The local mechanic said get the remote up here or take aftermarket system completely out of truck which he did. I saw the spaghetti wiring harness that this remote start system had & he did remove it. To be honest this is my newest truck & I have not had nor do I use or am familiar with the door lock/ anti theft systems. Thank God & Tim the mechanic we made it home 500 miles from Vermont. This truck is the #3 plow truck so I need to resolve this fairly soon.http://www.plowsite.com/images/smilies/crying.gif

4. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

Now it's above my head:) Can you hear the fuel pump when you first turn the key on? Be patient, someone with some experience, like B&B, will chime in soon.

5. tracerich

tracerich Member
    from Earth

If there is no fuel pressure, a quick do it yourself test would be to crank over the engine and have someone simultaneously tap the bottom of the fuel tank with a rubber hammer/mallet... This might jar the contacts within the pump and allow it to start. If that's the case, you can presume that the tank would need to come out, and the pump module and harness possibly replaced. You definitely don't want to do this outside your house. There is too much risk of potential hazards.

6. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

Sounds to me like the passlock system is acting up. When it wont start, is the security light flashing? When it finally does start up, does it cough and sputter or run perfectly.

7. misterbluesky

Thanks guys,
    Yes pump runs briefly which allows is to crank, start, run up to 1500 rpm for a second and a half or so then quit. Tried the hammer mallet thing but no change. It seems pump "primes" to start but doesn't continue to run to keep fuel delivery enough to keep it running. Holding pedal to the floor does not help either. BB the security lite is on steady. Do you know any more about passlock system? Can I overide it? Unhook batteries to reset computer? Am told I should be getting around 55 psi at fuel nipple on manifold. With key on I get only a brief spurt not steady stream. Hope this helps.
    Thanks.
    By the way we had 80" of snow last year. A new record.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The factory Passlock system is dying. The crystal clear indicator is that the security lamp is on, it should never be illuminated beyond the bulb check at first key on.

You can bypass/disable the Passlock by using a bypass module...which it would have had installed when the remote stater was. More than likely the Passlock died some time after the remote start and bypass modules were installed but it wasn't known....then the bypass module died too thus you now have a security inhibited no run. You can purchase another bypass module to disable the Passlock for $25 at most any shop that sells and installs remote starters.

9. misterbluesky

Thanks B&B,
    I'll look into that sometime today. Will let you know what happens.