1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My first plowing experience.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snow-mott, Dec 15, 2003.

1. snow-mott

snow-mott Junior Member

8 inches came down here in central kansas last Friday. It is now Monday morning at 2:30 AM. Just got home. Not really much else to say...lol.

Had two trucks...trannie on bigger of two went down within the first 6 hours so we were stuck with me in the reg-cab truck and the skidloader. Ahhyes...3 guys doing the work of 6 guys with the equipment of 2...gotta love it. Only 4 hours of sleep since thursday night...

i'll write more later about the "important" issues i learned about plowing. Right now...gota get some sleep...before i got back into work tomorrow to get ready for some ice tomorrow night. :dizzy:

2. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

sorry to hear about your transmission.:(

3. JasonJ

JasonJ Member

One lesson I learned when I started plowing was that the front of those pre-fab wood sheds you can rent and have set on your property is no match for a Boss V-blade. Tore the whole front of that baby right off, spilling tools and what-not all over the place.

A lesson I learned this year is that a guy with a steep switch-back driveway and boats parked at the apex of one of those switchbacks will ask you to plow his driveway while you are plowing the access road and culdesac. You will lose traction and slide into those boats, causing the hitch to get all mixed up into your front wheel after scratching the snot out of the paint. The lesson he learned is that the plow guy was more than willing to ask him why on earth would he park boats right where a person can lose tracton and slide into them. My truck got scratched up, his trailer jack and hitch got mangled, we called it even.

4. snow-mott

snow-mott Junior Member

**** happens. We were really stupid too though. The trannie would occasionally spill a little transmission fluid whenever backing a trailer during thes ummer. We're figuring it's either the front pump seal or the valve body gasket. Hoping for the v/b gasket so we don't have to drop the transmission. But the truck won't even start now so we need to go buy a couple new batteries for it and get it to auto zone to get the system checked out.

things I've learned:

A Standard Western plow is not good for breaking up ice.

Plowing at 30 Mpg with your head out the window is fun.

When in doubt...slow down.

When getting cocky...slow down.

Stacking is fun and thanks to you guys...i know how to do it. No one else i saw plowing knew.

Skid loaders are fun to drive on ice...but not on ice covered driveways.

Backdragging does not work for me.

You know you're tired when you hear skidloaders, diesel trucks, and blades grinding in your head that aren't really there.

Hot chicks dig snow plowers (got flashed twice...never had happened before)

Hot guy dig snow plowers :help:

Bibs are the greatest clothing innovation...EVER.

When stuff breaks down...notify your clients you're going to be late...they don't appreciate waiting two days for you to clear their lots without knowing whats taking so long.

Weird going out with Michael Jackson in the news and coming back with Saddam in the news. :drinkup:

Now...for me...it was a fun experience....learned tons about what my body and mind can take.

Now just gotta sit back and watch the checks start rolling in. For me? Getting paid $9/hr with already 61 hours this week...it's going to be a merry christmas for all. payup

The End.