1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My First Plowing Accident

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by linckeil, Jan 29, 2009.

1. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

i've been in the game 14 years now (started when I was 16) and currently have 55 driveways.

so last night I had my first ever plowing related mis-hap where I damaged a client's property...

i was backing out of the driveway to make my second pass in and BAM! I backed right into their mailbox which is mounted on the other side of the street. snapped the post at the base. i stood it back up and drove it into the snow bank for now.

this morning i called and left a message indicating what had happened and that i would come this weekend to temporarily fix it (mount it in 2 cinderblocks stacked on top of each other) and then when the ground thaws in the spring i will buy a new post and properly set it.

I was pissed as i always pay close attention to this mailbox as its in an awkward location. but it only takes one brian lapse to forget about it....

considering all the other obstacles in driveways (cars, garages) i'm lucky my first (and hopefully only) accident was with a mailbox....

2. Could have been much worse. When you reset the mailbox in the spring move it off to the size to make snow removal easier. I'm sure they won't mind. Discuss with them first of course.

3. yardsmith

yardsmith Senior Member

I managed to only bump a gate post with my bumper & then after all the plowing, I dent my truck bed on a telephone pole at the end of our driveway trying to get in because the #%$)(*^@ neighbor parked right at the end of my drive & I couldn't squeeze by- pisses me off..... more body damage.....

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

14 years and only 1 accident. You should be happy.

5. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Been there, done that! After 14 years only 1 "issue" your VERY lucky. I've been plowing snow since ' 93 and would have to say on average I screw up 1 every 4 years. No loss of life or anything just little stuff, hit a dumpster, strafe a marking stake (steel T-post), back over a boulder(rocker panel crunch).
    Just remember the saying "don't sweat the small stuff":eek:, do the rite thing by fixing it and you'll be OK.

6. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

anything that you can fix yourself for less than 500, i wouldnt sweat it

7. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

i know i'm lucky... it's just the blemish on the record that aggravates me. but if it had to happen, i'm glad it's with a mailbox. i will be looking to relocate it in the spring to a less awkward location too. i hope that by calling out the error to the client and doing the right thing i'm building some good karma to help fend off any potential future mistakes.
    after every storm, i thank God for watching over me and my truck.

8. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

i whacked my first mailbox yesterday too...good thing about mine is the township i work for is fixing it...haha

9. martyman

martyman Senior Member

I back into trees...I have two cracks in the back of my Jeep fiberglass top from doing it...stupid trees come out of know where :realmad:

10. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

It only took me about fourteen days to kill my first mailbox.

11. laker

laker Junior Member

hey dont feel bad...................

Tuesday morning (5 am) one ofmy guys was doing a condo complex.

At the top of the hill he taped the brakes ( 3/4 GMC)

That didnt help... he was on ice

as he preceded down the hill he pumped the brakes

When that didnt work.. Lets try reverse...

That didnt work IT ONLYPUT HIM SIDEWAYS ( see where this is going)

After the truck was sideways he contacted a ford taurus (totaled that one)...with the truck bed

that didnt stop him...

The front end of the truck and the tarurus then engaged a grand am....

That slowed him down but didnt stop him yet.

The trusty s-10 that the tangled mess hit stoped them from a 12 foot dropoff over a wall..

so out of this I have a screwed up truck and 1 totaled tarurs, $ 3500 to a grand am
    $2500 damage to a s-10..

and possibality of lossing a good account..

Moral of ther story

HAVE INSURANCE.. and pray nobody gets hurt......

kane

12. Emstaxi

Emstaxi Member

I broke my mirror the other night trying to back in my garage to work on the spreader before the storm.

13. Buckhunter

Buckhunter Member

14 years and only one accident is excellent. I also started plowing at 16 and Im 20 and I already had an accident. Minor truck damage and very little to the customers property. I hope I can have the luck and skill you have had to prevent this for the next 14 years.

14. ff1221

ff1221 PlowSite.com Addict

Hell, I got an eavestrough guy on speed dial, usually have a brain fart and forget about the loader being up at last once a year, it removes eavestrough very efficiently. Any plow operator who tells you he hasn't hit anything at any time is either a liar or plows wide open fields.:D

15. HALH VT

HALH VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

I have two or three trees on my route that just won't stand still. The y wait until I am not looking and JUMP right out behind me. I got hit by one the night before last. Broke the backup light lens, rolled the corner of the bumper up, and I haven't tried to open the tail gate. Just before that something frozen in the bank caught the corner of the plow and rattled my cage real good. I decided it was quitting time. Yesterday morning I found out that I had broken a bolt out of the end of the push beam, easy fix.

16. onemanshow

onemanshow Junior Member
    from alaska

A couple weeks ago I was scraping out in front of a 40ft container van and got a little to close.I put a nice little gouge/scrape in my hood and front pannel.Not even a mark on the van.Then last night I knocked the paper box off my dads mailbox.:mad:

17. Krieger91

Krieger91 Senior Member

14 years for one accident? That ain't bad.

I haven't even been driving two years and I have an accident under my belt...

18. Loaderpusher

Loaderpusher Member

As the season goes on I am seeing more and more dented in rear bumpers and rear quarters. By the end of this crazy winter, gonna be hard to find a dentless truck.

19. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

O plow related mishaps i have my share. Actually when i go out to clean off my truck befor i plow i am praying to myself that i dont have anything jump out behind me. My own trucks hitting eacher mail boxs camping trailers flower beds small cheap retaining walls. curbs Its a risky job thats why we pay crazy amounts for insurance.

20. doubleedge

doubleedge Member
    from ND

Wow, that sucks.. He should have just pressed the brakes enough so the wheels were moving a little bit. Reverse it the worst thing you can do when that happens, because you are putting more torque to the ground, which reduces traction.