1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

my first plow truck

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by areoseek, Mar 13, 2013.

1. areoseek

areoseek Member
    from Erie PA

this'll be my first truck with a plow, over paid a Tad, but I fell in love after the test drive. going to fix it up over the summer. 1985 Ford f250 with a 460 auto trans. 4x4 with a 900lb concrete block in the bed. 8ft Fisher plow in what I think is decent shape.

2. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Congrats and welcome to the site. That 1st truck is always a love affair!
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Looks like a hydro plow.
  4. hammerstein

hammerstein Senior Member

How does one over pay when you get to make the offer?
  5. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome to the forum, I hope the truck does you well.
  6. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

That's basically what I bought when I was 16. 1986 F250, 351w, auto, and same exact plow. Good tought truck and easy to work on.
  7. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Old fire department truck it looks like?
  8. havenlax18

havenlax18 Senior Member

I wouldn't of paid over a grand for it. How much did you pay if you don't mid me asking and looks like a solid plow truck those old fishers are beasts I have one. They are nothing special but won't let you down and very simple to diagnose if its OOS. But yeah looks like an old FD truck.
  9. areoseek

areoseek Member
    from Erie PA

paid 2000 but its financed.
  10. areoseek

areoseek Member
    from Erie PA

yep. only 36000 miles
  11. Nozzleman

Nozzleman Senior Member

Depending on what capacity that truck was used for in it's former life those 36,000 miles could be the hardest 36,000 miles an engine can see. I'm a F/F and we punish vehicles daily. We basically start up a cold engine, place it in gear, and hammer down before the oil is even fully circulated through the engine.

However, I'm sure it's been gagraged it's whole life and most FD's are good about maintenance. Also, many times a truck like that is used as a utility type vehicle so maybe the emergency responses were limited.
  12. jdo150

jdo150 Member

Looks clean for its age, good luck with it hope it makes you A ton of
  13. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

my dad had a 83 ford f-150 with 7.6 foot fisher he got it in 86 and it lasted till 2008 went everywhere pushed anything was a great truck would probably still have it and be driving it if back half of fame did not rust through. for part of it life it only had box sides with plywood floor as floor rusted out. Thumbs Up
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  14. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Guaranteed that plow will not die
  15. areoseek

areoseek Member
    from Erie PA

that's the hope. i already have an established Snow removal customer base, but i was limited to shovels. This will slice my time in half and allow me to take more houses. In the meantime it'll pull the landscaping trailer.
  16. dieselboy01

dieselboy01 Senior Member

Nice looking truck, you can't beat an old Ford, they are a tough truck! Good luck with everything!
  17. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

That actually makes the deal worse. Over paid and now you'll pay even more for it. The interest rates at those mom and pop dealers can be through the roof. They probably bought it for $500 at an auction. I hope it serves you well! They are good plow trucks and that plow is bullet proof.
  18. scholzee

scholzee Senior Member

Almost all plows are.................LOL. I think you mean belt driven pump cable valve Hydro vs Electric driven pump electric solenoid Hydro , or are you on your sixth Margarita:drinkup::drinkup:
  19. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Nice truck, buddy. I bet it smells like Old Farts and cigarettes inside the cab, right ??? :laughing: and with a little mold added, I'm sure.

Clean er up and lets see some updated pix....Thumbs Up
  20. areoseek

areoseek Member
    from Erie PA

you're correct. belt driven pump.

as for the interest rate issue, it'll be paid off quickly, so its not a huge deal.
    ill definatley post pics after i bring her home and fix everything.