1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My First Night Out with the 8' Flink... Ideas?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by derekbroerse, Nov 24, 2005.

1. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Well last night was my first salting event. Since my second truck still needs another few days work I mounted it (temporarily) on my main truck.

This is my first run with a v-box. I found it ran the salt out a lot quicker than my 3-point hitch Vicon I used last year--I need to drive a lot faster now! It was adjustable on the Vicon.

It has a lever-operated chute for the material that I probably opened about 1/3 of the way.

My question is this: The salt I used (it was dry bagged Sifto bc I bought it on short notice from Canadian Tire) seems to stick to the sides of the V! I'd guess there is probably a full 88lb bag's worth hanging there still. I'm assuming this is a common occurance--I'm sure my spreader doesn't run so silky-smooth that I am the only one with this! LOL.

Do you guys carry a broom handle or something to knock it off with? I banged my fist against the side a little which helped some but hurt a little more than I would like to do on a nightly basis...

Do you only worry about it once you return to the shop? Or on the last jobsite?

I only spread out half a yard last night.

I'm going out there now to try the broom handle approach before it hardens on me.

2. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

I always keep the gate about 2 inches open and adjust the conveyer and spinner.as far as salt sticking,with the stainless steel box ,it doesnt usally stick but when it does I keep an ice breaker on the truck to keep it all moving.

3. plowed

plowed Senior Member

Derek, is the salt actually sticking to the sides or is it bridging? In other words, when it bridges, nothing is feeding to the conveyor chain - there is a gap between the material and the bottom of the box where the conveyor chain runs, even though the conveyor chain is moving. Is this what you're describing?

4. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Well, there was actually a peak of salt leftover after the machine had otherwise emptied itself. It was about 6-8" thick by about 3' long, on either side of the v-box.

I knocked it off with a broom handle and spread it on the road in front of the house to get rid of it.

Could it be because there was snow inside the v-box ahead of time? I ran it out before I added snow, but I'm sure there was some left.