1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My First Lost Commercial Contract for the Year

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by derekbroerse, Nov 2, 2005.

1. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Well, just got a phone msg telling me that I've lost my first commercial contract for the year... lost a residential too because they moved.

This commercial one.... she called yesterday, left a message that yes, she wanted me to do the snow again this year (this would be year #6).

Today, leaves a message saying she is giving the job to one of the tennants of her plaza.

You may recall me bitching last year about someone plowing one of my contracts one day (with 1" of snow). We suspected this guy. Whoever it was tore up the front lawn, pushed a whole bunch of gravel, and hit another tenant's 5.0 Mustang that was sitting out front for sale. When I called her and reported it, she told me it was probably this guy.

Sounds like someone you'd like to hire, doesn't it?

I'm going to call her tomorrow and try to get an explanation.

2. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

dont feel too bad we usally lose 3 or 4 big accounts each year due to corperate money pinching but usally gain the same amount we lose.

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Probably tell you the same thing I heard "He's wanting to start a snowplowing business and is giving us a deal we can't pass up".

I still think we should form a club - The "Lost another one to the New Guy" club.

4. derekbroerse

Whoa! Where did that come from?? Take it easy boys...

Yes, he is the classic 'lowballer' type. She told me last year that he is supposed to be a landscaper, and that is what he rented the place as, but all she sees him do is auto body repairs without proper equipment, ventilation etc. She said she'd never seen a lawnmower etc. ever in his shop since he moved in.

If he was really the one who did all the damage last year, he should have at least owned up to it, not left everyone to think I did it.

5. Killswitch

Killswitch Senior Member

lol.....ahahahahahaha

:nod:

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

????

I saw the post that's missing now. I was trying to figure it out, too. Just stating what happened to me and suggesting a club.

7. Killswitch

Killswitch Senior Member

Sorry man, you just made it sound like newbies suck.

And Derek. You need to consider whether or not you are being told the truth by your client or former client. There could be a lot of reasons why they want to change.

I suggest you make a call back to confirm the message of a cancel and leave it at that.

I also think that some of you think that you should and do retain 100% of your clients year to year and thats not only wrong, its impossible.

8. Olderthandirt

Olderthandirt Member

Explanation is he's cheaper or a relative and she gets a kick back:)

9. derekbroerse

I suspect she is telling me the truth, I mean, why would she make it up?

ps: she's like 70 years old, it was her late husband's building, and she's been running it for about 20 years

I just feel that after 5 or so years of loyal service, I at least deserve an explanation. If its money (which I suspect), then so be it. I'm not working for free. I don't expect everyone to stay forever. I do, however, feel that people need to learn that cheaper is not necessarily better. When you find a product or service that does everything you need when you need it, you should stick with it. Saving a few bucks often just causes nightmares.

The good part is that she is the only contract I had on that end of town. I used to do them and another industrial plaza next door, but last year they bought a Bobcat and did it themselves, which left this (albeit miserable) job by itself. Really, its just as well, the place is like driving thru a junkyard.

On the more sad part, she was an excellent customer for paying. If she got a bill, she put a check in the mail the same day.

Mick, I obviously didn't see the missing post, so I'm just confused on that whole issue.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2005
  10. Killswitch

Killswitch Senior Member

11. loyalty

Derek sorry to say this bro, but there is no loyalty in the snow removal business when it comes to customers trying to save money. I see commercial accounts in my area change snow removal companys on a yearly basis. They are always looking to save a buck or two. Or thinking they can have someone do a little better job.. Just move forward Derek.. And don't sweat it...!!!! It is the old ladys headache now....:nod:

12. derekbroerse

Nyah, not sweating it, just a little annoyed, probably more so because of the do it/don't do it situation. Make up your mind before you call! lol

Loyalty? Yeah right. I've noticed.

13. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

Don't lose any sleep over it. I'm about to lose a "loyal" (5 year) customer. These people are slow payers. I always have to put in a call to get their check. When I told them I'd be raising their rate $5 because of gas prices she said "I'll have to think about it". That was two weeks ago. PFFFFTTT!!! SEE YA!!!:gunsfiring: :waving:

14. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

around spring time call her and mention that you fix plow damage, you know all the lawn that is torn up. rocks that are pushed on the lawn. :)

15. Rodd1

Rodd1 Member

We have this happen all the time we had a church last year say they bought a snow blower and they would do it .never asked what happened but the were the first ones to send there contract back signed.