1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My first job of the year (rejection)

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Citrausa, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Citrausa

Citrausa Member

I got a call from a friend (who I plow her drive way for) to see if I would want more accounts. Now mind you, I only do a few for cash to pay for plowing my moms, brothers, sisters and mine (only exception is a veteran who will never have to pay).

So I go out to the place out of respect and when the owner of the condo informs me that she's only willing to pay $40 anytime it snows more then 1 inch. I respectfully decline. Even though I don't plow professionally, I do know not too many will plow this lot for $40 a crack.

Pick blow shows in red what she wanted done.

road.jpg

2. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

Good call. She'd probably be the first to complain too.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Should of told 40.00 is good for the 1st fifty ft,but what about the rest of it?

4. Citrausa

Citrausa Member

I don't mind being out plowing but she looked at me like I was nuts when I said I couldn't do it that. That I don't think anyone would plow a private road (almost 1/4 down and back) for $40. Wished her luck. And honestly with 1995 K1500 7'6" plow, it would be nothing but a nightmare is what I was really thinking.

5. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

$40/inch sounds fair. Same as in town...

6. jasburrito

jasburrito Senior Member

So is that a 600k condo? Just to show up there and work should be at least 80. I bet there Porsche mechanic charges more than the guy working on Chevy's.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  7. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

I would do it for $40 an inch with a 2 inch trigger.

8. grandview

So you pay only 10 bucks?

9. Mr.Markus

I think you were quoted your seasonal discount...

10. grandview

As many times as needed between Nov 1st to Apr 30thwesport

11. gasjr4wd

gasjr4wd Senior Member

Min would be $100
    If really a friend they would insist on paying me at least $75.
    And again, if they were really a friend I'd do it for free if I was passing by.
    (push it away from the wall!)

12. Citrausa

Citrausa Member

Actually it is. The owner thought $40 was a fair price since it's right in town and she's a friend of a friend.

That's what I was thinking ($75-100) but asked what she thought was fair to pay. Hence why I didn't go into how much it could cost.

If she was a friend I might have helped out more. But she wanted the drive/road completely plowed as wide as the road, garbage area pushed back and etc. Too much for $40 per snow fall for me to consider.

13. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

She was just trying to exploit her friendship between your common friend and you.

14. gasjr4wd

gasjr4wd Senior Member

How does she know what a fair price would be? Plus she is going to be bias.
    You could tell her you'll pass on doing it, and then tell her to be prepared to pay double that. If she asks why it's so much, tell her what plows, trucks, parts, etc cost. Then just smile and walk away.

I also figured everything should be pulled away and pushed to the top right. Avoid the rock wall at all costs. Anything looks funky with the wall come spring, you will be blamed.

15. jimbo64

jimbo64 Senior Member

I had a call just like that last year from a homeowners association. The only difference was one side of your red lines was lined with garden homes . It was 6'from each garage to the street for each home and there were 10 homes on the street plus each home had a short walkway. Each driveway and walkway had to be shovelled plus the street plowed. I thought I was low when I quoted $200. per storm (which is how they wanted to pay). They were going to get back to me and never did and after thinking about it i'm glad they didn't.

16. grandview

Tell her you charge double for friends

17. Mr.Markus

Friends are free...friends of friends pay double for the shortfall!

18. gasjr4wd

gasjr4wd Senior Member

:laughing:
    I like that!

19. grandview

Like in town?

20. Mr.Markus

In a small town it's surprising how many people are your friend when you have a plow truck.