1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My first impressions about the MD75

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by Bunky1, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Bunky1

Bunky1 Member

Just got this plow the other day. I must admit that it is a thing of beauty. However it can be a royal pain in the A$$ installing and removing. Other then that the plow worked flawlessly. Fast up/down and side to side. Not impressed with the hand controller. The cord it very stiff but I was able to remedy this by making a holder that sits under my middle seat (Console) and the bracket is welded to the holder. The controller now sits at a very comfortable angle and the controlls are within easy reach. Notice that since the blade is sooo light backdragging is non existant. It tends to compress the snow and in turn the packed snow turns to ice. In my personal opinion Buyers should make a backdrag blade for this and make it part of the package and not an option. I feel that this in itself would make this plow worth its weight in gold. Also it would be a nice thing if the installers would use NO SEIZE when installing the hardware. I took off the headlight and put some NO SEIZE and then added shrink wrap to cover the threads. Hopefully this will allow me to remove the light at a later time if needed with out detroying the light. I very much like the idea of grease fittings on the pivot pins. Not sure if removing the shoes would aid in backdragging but would be interested in hearing any feedback to this issue. But the best thing I like about this plow is the price. Now I put the wiring harness and truck carriage on myself due to time restraints but the price less installation was about $3200 and another $200 to have the truck carriage overnighted to my shop. So for about $3400 I have a new plow that works nicely. Alot more affordabe then the BOSS or any other plow that I own. I also like the stainless blade. NOw I won't have to worry about painting the blade after each season. I hope the frame and under carriage hold up like the blade as far a painting issue. Also the plow stacks snow very high. Very impressed. Oh and by the way my first snow with this plow happened to be a 30 incher and to boot it was a very heavy snow. wesport
  2. Ericjr16

Ericjr16 Member

Hello, I too had some issues with install/removal of plow. You will see in other posts what guys ideas are on it.We have found that with shoes off it backdrags better. My dad made a holder for controller that works with his cup holder. Makes it much better. I am going to do the anti seeze to the lights too, I don't want the problem you stated! Hope you have good luck with the plow like we have!
  3. rjnjr1019

rjnjr1019 Senior Member

I have no problems with the lights, it goes on and off the truck in a zip, and I just lay the controler in my lap when using it
  4. JEC

JEC Junior Member
    from Ohio

Maybe I'm too easy to please, or am just really lucky, but I've found installing and removing the MD 75 to be as easy as it gets. It takes me three or four minutes, and I don't need anyones help.

After selling my 3500 Dually truck with the red plow I used for my own parking lot, some neighboring parking lots, and some driveways, I bought the MD75 for my 2008 4 door Jeep Unlimited.

No, it's not a 900 lb plow, attached to a truck that could pull or push it's way out of any situation, but after using it in this weeks snow here in Ohio, I'm pretty darned impressed.

For it's weight, it does a good job at backdragging, and with the remote mounted firmly on the center of the Jeep console, the operation was easy and simple.

I'm extremely impressed with the way it piled up the wet, heavy snow and have no regrets on the purchase.
  5. Bunky1

Bunky1 Member

Hopefully tomorrow I can take a pic of my controller holder and post the pics. As far as using Anti Sieze be sure to follow up by putting shrink wrap over the exposed threads on the lights. On all the plows that I had in the past it seemed that the lights were the first thing that corroded. When I took the last plow mount off the truck I had to burn the mounting bolts off due to rust. On the pervious plows that I attached and used anti sieze the bolts came out very easy. Like I said earlier this is what I noticed.
  6. Bunky1

Bunky1 Member

Today one of the pis that attach the plow to the sub frame fell out and the other was only hanging on by a touch. Not sure if the place that I purchased the plow even installed hitch pins or cotter pins on these pins (the 2 pins that have grease fittings). Has anyone else had this problem and if so is this a continuing problem that I need to address.
  7. Bunky1

Bunky1 Member

Here is the gizmo that I made to hold the controller. Took about 10 minutes and a piece of 1/8 X 1"X about 2' of steel and a mig welder. Oh and I almost forgot a piece of cardboard to sandwich the holder to keep from getting any rust marks on my upholstery.

Snow Dogg Plow 006.jpg

Snow Dogg Plow 008.jpg

Snow Dogg Plow 009.jpg

Snow Dogg Plow 010.jpg
  8. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

Got to try out my new MD75 Thursday on a light storm. Love the plow and lights but hate the hand controler. I made a temperwary mount on my dash to hold the controler. Its a bad design plain and simple. The push buttons need to be located differently for angleing and the buttons need to be lighted. Looking at the lighted dog head is blinding in the dark. Hope they come out with a stick switch soon. My Meyer and Fisher plows of the past had sticks, so easy to use, night or day.
  9. leepotter

leepotter Senior Member

x2 on the blue light being way to bright
  10. Plowfixguys

Plowfixguys Senior Member

Just a little information. The hand held from a Meyer works on the Snow Dogg. We had a Dogg defect in last week and of course I was out of stock, then I happen to look at the Meyer and realized the plug was the same, plugged it in and works fine.
  11. gene gls

Are the Meyer hand helds all the same, or was it a certain model? Are the Meyer hand helds and slick stick interchangeable?
  12. Plowfixguys

Plowfixguys Senior Member

The wiring is all the same for E47 and E60 and maybe others, the differance would be in the plug. If your good you can make an adapter harness to connect it or if you really want you can hard wire it in. I am going to do a little reaserch further, order the plugs and pins then see what I can figure out, I just have to sit and read the wiring diagrams and pin outs. I will keep yall posted.
  13. ppap

ppap Junior Member

I too had this happen to me during the last snow storm. It was on the passenger side and I think I caught it just in time. After driving about 10 miles, I noticed the blade was somewhat cocked so I went to check it and noticed the pin had almost completely slid out. All I had to work with was a claw hammer and a piece of wood which allowed me to pound the pin back into place. Instead of the cotter pin, I uses a skinny bolt and lock nut. Now I check EVERYTHING before beginning to work.

Although I have only used my Snowdogg three times, I am very impressed with its operation. Each time I use it, it gets easier to connect. As stated, the price is great. I hope it stays reliable in the future. We'll see.
  14. gene gls