1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My first Chevy

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Banksy, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Here is my Chevy 2500 diesel, auto, 4x4. I bought Tuesday for $3000.00. I have already done an oil/filter change, fuel filter change and it needed new batteries. I have an entire Meyer C-8 set up, so I am going to try and put it on this.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 2003Ranger

2003Ranger Junior Member

Truck Looks good, might need some paint, but its a solid truck. Nice looking truck

3. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

2003 Ranger,
    Got a truck for sale if you're interested

4. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Looking good! Who cares about paint. Looks like a real work truck!

5. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I am going to just drive it for a while and later I may get the body fixed up. Theres no rust or rot, so I'm in no rush. The hood does not even have a spot of rust. Thanks guys.

6. 2003Ranger

2003Ranger Junior Member

I'd like to hear more info/ see pics of it but, I don't want to hijack this thread so if you can give me a number or e-mail address that would be great

7. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Give me a truck like that mechanically sound and I will drive it all day with a tailgate salter.

8. M&M Services

M&M Services Senior Member
    from midwest

Nice purchase...good solid looking truck!

9. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

year? miles? looks like a 97-98 or a 2000 classic

10. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

It's a '95 2500, 4x4, 6.5 diesel, auto, "cheyenne" package, 202,000 miles. I had to put in a starter today, because it was just clicking. Got a new one from NAPA with a lifetime warranty. It drives fantastic on the highway. I have an 8' Meyer I want to put on it.

11. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

Change out the harmonic balancer and the glow plugs unless they look new. The balancer starts to seperate as the rubber ring in it rots away and will wipe out the motor.

12. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

How much and where do I get a new one? Is it easy to check it and see if it looks bad or not? That would be the pulley on the crankshaft correct? The glow plugs seem to be working just fine, but I don't know how old they are. I will probably change them before this winter. It has a block heater cord, but I don't know if the heater works or not yet.

13. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

hey hows it going, the truck looks great, looks a lot newer than a 95. i just got a old ford diesel myself for another plow truck with the 6.9 in it. to check the block heater if you plug it in you should be able to hear a lil noise like a small fan or so starting up once you plug it in.

14. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Hey Ford6.9. I am going to work on the truck tomorrow and I'll plug it in and see if I notice anything. I am going to take the bumper off and see what I can do with the Meyer set up I have. I like the old 6.9's and 7.3's, but they can be cold blooded. Post some pics of your new truck when you get a chance.

15. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

Sure no problem i am in the process of getting a new bed for the back end this Sunday I am picking it up...should have it finished in about a month--just to busy- but when i get it all done ill get some pictures for everyone to see the truck and my western which i would like to put wings on this year, i just found something called mega scoop looks pretty cool but cant find much about it but anyways ill get those pictures up when i can

16. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I will have to post some pics, but I installed the Meyer lift frame from the old 88 Dodge 150 onto this Chevy. I made brackets from 4"x4" 1/4" angle that slide into the frame and use the factory tow hook holes and bolts. I will add two more bolts to the side, but I ran out of time yesterday. I then trimmed the Meyer frame so it would slide over the angle brackets and the I welded the hell out of it. It looks great and sits straight up and down, instead of p
    itched forward on the Dodge. I still need to mount the undercarriage, but that will be easier than what I just did. Next is the wiring......ugghh should be fun. I also need to try and fit the bumper back on,. but it doesn't look bad with out it.

17. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

someone’s been busy lol post up some pictures of that setup when you can

18. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I traded this truck w/plow on Saturday for a 2001 Arctic Cat 500 4x4, 320 miles, auto quad with camo bags and winch. The Chevy was starting to hesitate and lose power for brief moments and I was starting to lose faith in it and did not want it to become a money pit. MOST of all I could not find any insurance for plowing/salting, so I said heck with it and got another quad. The wife wanted an ATV more than that truck, so we could go riding with two ATV's. The guy that got it said the truck was hesitating on him when test driving and he said it shut off while idling when I was in the woods test riding the quad. He left and said he'd think about it. Two hours later he called back and said he wanted it. So we did an even swap. So, no plowing this year for me or maybe never down here. The wife wants to move back to Mass or NH, so maybe some day I'll plow again there.

19. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

In a way that sucks, but that is a good quad you got. 320 miles is nothing, just broken in. You could put a plow on that. You go through trucks faster than I do.:drinkup: OH, post some pics of the ATV as well.

20. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I actually already did put a plow on it. I transferred the plow from my Rancher to the new quad. The new one is bigger in size and engine, plus has low and high gears and selectable 4wd. I used the blade yesterday to clear the trail of sticks and leaves behind my house. The mount I made needs some refining, but it worked just fine. I'll take some pics of it soon. I used to get a different truck every year and a half or so, but I'll have to buried in my Ram. We'd like to be back in New England in a couple years and I could easily jump right back into plowing there. I miss the money from it!!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2006