1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

my favorite shovel....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Exact Services, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Exact Services

Exact Services Senior Member

A specific sub-forum for snow shovels but no sub-forum for snow blowers. :confused:

Anyhow.......my favorite shovel, thus far, for short walks, steps & general use. Very fast and light. Actually made in the USA. ussmileyflag

Only problem is it broke last year shoveling a roof. But since they are sold exclusively at Costco....you can return it.
    This years model doesn't have the nylon scrapper [that part didn't break] but instead has a metal scrapper. I'd rather have the nylon scraper.

:salute:

http://www.suncast.com/productdisplay.aspx?id=414&pid=43

http://www.suncast.com/productdisplay.aspx?id=413&pid=43
    [​IMG]

2. gottaluvplows

gottaluvplows Senior Member

OMG i feel you bro! i Love that shovel i got like 5 from Costco here!!!!!!!!! i first bought one for at HOME (when ever i buy something from Costco for home some how it ends up in the back of the truck..) But yeah that is a great shovel WELL WORTH the money

3. Deckscapes

Deckscapes Senior Member

I just bought a SNOWPLOW Snow Pusher from my local dealer and got a chance to try it out last night on one of our Condo projects where we have to shovel stairs where the sides are enclosed so the snow has to be "backdragged" down to the bottom and the scooped out of the way, and then there is miles of concrete sidewalks. I have to say, this is the best shovel I have ever used! It is so tough, I was able to turn it over and use the edge as a scraper and even use it to chop packed snow & ice and didn't feel like I was going to break it. As a pusher, it glides over concrete better than any other shovel and has a "weighty" feel to it so if it ever catches on something it won't break.
    I am going to replace all of my shovels (and I have tried shovels ranging from $15 to $35) with SNOWPLOW Shovels and garage sale our inferior shovels!

4. provfirescott

provfirescott Senior Member
    from Ma

So is that the only difference on the Suncast is the metal or rubber scrapper

5. Exact Services

Yes.

This years model has the metal leading edge that is riveted on. Last year has the nylon strip instead. You have nothing to loose just buy it. Don't like it take it back to Costco. I liked the nylon leading edge because it was quiet. If they only used a a strip of the UHMW-PE material that the snow plow shovel has they would truly have a hands down winner for an all around great shovel. http://www.cleaningsolutions4u.com/UHMW.htm As silly as it sounds I've contemplated getting thin strips of UHMW-PE and putting it on the leading edge of the Suncrest. That would involve drilling out the rivets etc. Probably over-kill...I need to get out more often take up a hobby or something. :drinkup:

The Suncast is great scoop shovel and all around general use snow shovel.

FWIW - I did buy a 24", 30" & 36" Snow Plow model at my local Ace Hardware. Bit spendy but oh well - it is the nature of the business.

I will post a full review of the snow plows once I we get a few storms. I currently do 100% residential driveways and walks. Down to the pavement speeds and efficiency is paramount for my operation.
    :waving:

6. provfirescott

from Ma

Just went to Costco and bought it model #3530($19.99) and it was $10 cheaper than at Target Model #3500($29.99).

7. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Not actually a specific forum for snow shovels, but rather a forum for a sponsor here on the site.

http://www.cleaningsolutions4u.com/tsp_product_page.html

I bought one of the 24" models from them last season and have to say it is a great product. It does everything that they say it will do. The only downfall that I can find with it is it's ability to scoop snow. But for pushing, chopping, backdragging it works excellent. It is built very well and should last for many seasons.

8. Exact Services

I'm assuming the Target model had the nylon edge?

9. provfirescott

from Ma

Both had the nylon edge,neither Target nor Costco had a steel edge,went to both places last night.

10. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

......What is a shovel anyway?

11. Exact Services

Yes I went to Target and picked up 2 of nylon edged ones.

The Costcos here all have metal edges. Every time I'm there I check to see if there is any change in stock.

12. provfirescott

from Ma

Just looked again and the part number for the Costco one is SCP303545D

13. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

My favorite shovel is the one my WIFE uses....lol
    I don't do shoveling

14. Deco

Deco Senior Member

i found an old steel push shovel 4 years ago by the curbside , still in service . i recommend a plastic demo myself .

15. snow tender

snow tender Senior Member

hydro 37 has my vote

16. Exact Services

Same # here but it has the metal edge.

:confused:

17. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

I like the SnowPlow brand I just wish it was a bit taller. I watched the video last night on their site. The dude started in the middle and pushed half the driveway to the side, then came back and pushed the other half over what he just cleared. If they made it taller he could have started at one side and pushed it all the way open in one shot.

As for what I use now, a cheap Walmart special. :)

18. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I saw these at Menards yesterday with what seemed to be a plastic type of cutting edge. Over $30.....They felt way to flimsy. My guy that was with me thought the same thing. For a one man show its probably a great shovel...but to put it in service with my sidewalk crew, it would never last. BTW, I do like some suncast products.

Toby....We have yet to use ours, but I bought (2) 36in and (4) 30in - I think these will be a great shovel, it seems to me it may not be an ideal scooping shovel, but when/if needed you could scoop with them??.....I also just got 4 more dakota snoblades...I also have a bunch of suncast 2000?? or 2100???, cant remember the #, but they are the cheap $7 blue plastic shovel they make.

19. sparky2410

sparky2410 Member

The best shovel is the one you leave in the garage. I prefer to plow the walks.

20. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

Yes, and who uses them :confused: