1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My F250 battery is dying when using my Blizzard Plow - PLEASE help

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by AKPlower, Nov 17, 2009.

1. AKPlower

AKPlower Junior Member

Hello All,

I am new to this site and forum but I think I have hopefully found a great resource for information here at this site and in all of you and I am in need of some help.

I am not a terribly experienced snow plower yet with only a few seasons under my belt and I am even a less experienced mechanic but I am open and willing to learn as best I can.

I have a Blizzard 86110LP plow which this later summer we took off of a 1996 GMC3500 that finally died and I someone put it on a 1988/89 Ford F250 that is actually in much better shape than the 96 GMC was.

What seems to be happening is that when operating the plow it is severly taxing the electrical system and drawing down the battery to such an extent that it is actually making the truck just die / stall and then there is not enough power left to either move the blade nor restart the engine.

It does seem that if the blade can be set in a position and then the control box inside the truck cab is shut off and the plow is driven/used in a long straight stretch of road it recharges enough to move or reposition the plow but in short stretches, like plowing a driveway, it just seems to draw som much power that it stalls the engine out.

There was a double battery system in the 96 GMC but only a single battery in the Ford.

I am hoping that some of you can shed some light on this problem for me and how I might be able to correct this as right now I have a hellva lot of snow outside that I need to move but can't do so without fear of the truck stalling out - and more than likely that would / will happen again in a place where it's hard for me to get another vehicle there to jump the plow truck.

Thank you in advance for any thoughts and/or help you might be willing to share.

2. Blazerboy

Blazerboy Junior Member

Had the same problem with my second plow when I put it on, go get a new battery with more amps or a dual setup. I haven't had a problem since.
  3. AKPlower

AKPlower Junior Member

Blazerboy, thanks for the prompt response.

Could it seriously be just as simply as getting a new, more powerful battery?

One thing that doesn't seem to make sense is shouldn't the alternator be charging the battery during the whole plowing process or do these plows suck up so much power that the alternators can't keep up ?
  4. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

The alternator does not produce enough amperage to sustain the truck and plow by itself, so if you're killing the truck, I'd bet you have a bad battery. Best option is to have the battery and alternator tested so you know for certain. Depending on the age of the battery, I'd replace it anyway, as batteries live short lives in plow trucks. Plowing is very hard on the battery as it discharges to a certain extent every time you move the plow, then recovers from the alternator. It's like starting your truck 100's of times a night.
  5. GatorDL55

GatorDL55 Senior Member

The problem with just doing driveways and now driving further distances is that most alternators only supply enough juice at idle to keep the engine running. If the RPMs never increase, it doesn't charge your battery. Since your plow is drawing a lot of AMPs, it is draining your battery and never getting charged. New battery might solve the problem. Heavy duty alternator would be the permanent fix.
  6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

You guys are all right. Also it seems a lot of guys play with their plow to much you don't need to raise it all the way all the time all that plow movement drained the battery too .How many lights you running on your truck?
  7. AKPlower

AKPlower Junior Member

Thank you all very much for your thoughts and input thus far and I will certainlky go get a new battery today ! And if possible I will look into getting a heavier duty alternator as well.

What amp battery would you all recommend? The highest I can find / get ?

I am typically only running two lights on the plow at a time, either the plow lights or the headlights but not both at the same time. Even then, when possible I try to do the plowing I have to do during daylight hours to avoid running lights at all.
  8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Wait are you plowing in that minus 200 degree temperature!
  9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I'd find the biggest battery--2 would be better, especially in your neck of the woods--and the largest amp alternator and install both ASAP.

Make sure all grounds are clean and one goes to the frame as well.
  10. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

Get yourself a new alternator. NOT STOCK. Stock alt. I think only put out 60 or 70 amps. Get one thats 90 or so. The battery doesn't really matter as to the cold cranking amps but what matters is the storage capacity. Get a battery that has atleast 700 cca and and 600 ca
  11. Chevyguy04

Chevyguy04 Junior Member

I would do a dual battery setup first and see if it helps. When your in a parking lot you figure that pump is running a lot so the second battery with help maintain the extra draw, and when you leave the parking lot depending on your drive, the alternator will be able to build that juice back up, most 3/4 ton trucks have 145 amp alternators.

Most of our trucks have dual altrernators and dual batteries with front and back blades and dont have a problem. We do have two trucks that only have single alternator and dual batteries with front and back blades and we run into issues once in a while if they are on a route where the lots are close by without any drive time between them. I know the guys that drive those trucks turn off the headlights and strobe off if they are in a well lit empty parking lot and that seems to help maintain the power needed for the plows.

If dual batteries dont work you can try a bigger alternator, more like a 200 amp, or dual alternator setup.
  12. revtoyota

revtoyota Member

You could go to a parts store and/or dealership they should be able to just hook your truck to there alternator test to tell you what is going on. only take 5 mnutes at the most. we do it here at my shop all the time. get a optima marine deep cycle battery. (really hard to kill them and are ment to be beat around)