1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My F150 has a 4" Lift SO.....

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Plow Now, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Plow Now

Plow Now Member

For my Truck (97 F150) which uses a meyers 17108 mount, my truck has a 3ish" Lift. Will that affect anything negatively w re: to the blade, hoop and pump or the 3-4" lift will operate as effectively as if there wasn't any lift? OR should I modify anything and if so how much?
    Thanks
    Ben

2. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Okay (Hold on Jeff, be polite), your A frame has to sit level to the ground in order to keep the attack angle correct on the blade. You'll need to fab your mount to allow this to happen. I wouldn't want to be the one pushing snow in a half ton truck with a lift. Neither the half ton truck, or lift kit are conducive to commercial plowing. Yes, it can be done though.

3. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

You're "A" frame needs to run parallel with the ground, if not you'll have uneven cutting edge wear and the approach angle of the plow would be steeper.

4. Plow Now

Plow Now Member

I am only using the 1/2 ton for residential jobs and a small lot maybe. I should account for the lift and make sure the bottom of mount has the same 10 1/2" of clearance the install directions show it should have? And in the end maintain the same 10 1/2" of clearance?

5. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Yes you need to account for the lift and drop the truck side to get to the mfr's recommended height.

6. Plow Now

Plow Now Member

Ok

(Be Polite Ben) 1st off hahaha w the be polite Jeff. I can take it, I get it AND was kinda funny too!! F-250 next year. Ok so I will make sure the clearance is exactly as it reccomends no matter what the lift is. Ok great, when install is complete the bottom of mount will have the same clearance as if it wasnt lifted..
    Thanks again, this site (and you guys) have helped me so much!!
    Ben

7. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Good luck with it, and thank you for taking the constructive criticism like a man. Once you get the mount lowered to the correct height your truck should serve you well for what you do. Also, your A frame doesn't have to sit "exactly" level. I would get it as close as possible, but I would guess that an inch either way would be just fine. I believe they want the attack angle of the blade to be 70 degrees, but it's not an exact science.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  8. Plow Now

Plow Now Member

Not constructive criticism thanks

Its not constructive criticism, I consider it asking someone with knowledge I need and getting the info I needed saving lotsa grief.
    Thanks again.

9. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

You may find it easier to adjust the a frame mounts to fit instead of lowering the truck mounts. I did this to my C9 because my Ram sat so high, worked great. I got some 1" square stock. I welded mine up but I think if you really wanted to you could do a bolt on deal. I can get a pic if you would like.

10. Plow Now

Plow Now Member

Hey Dave,
    The mount i have was not designed for my truck. In fact my truck calls for a 17108 meyers mount but I have a 17105 mount which was originally made for an F 450. The frame rails match up perfectly and its a much longer (top to bottom) then the one for my truck which in turn, after measuring and w the reccomended 10.5 inches of clearance they say is needed (obviously now it makes sense the clearance) for the A Frame to either be even w the mount or damn close will be a matter of cutting it down from the top and a little welding. The lower reinforcing brackets will fit in perfectly. Thank you all very much for explaining why the lift has to be taken into consideration..

11. KLC99

KLC99 Senior Member

Add some height between the tabs and the a-frame as needed to keep it level-ish. Added bonus is you'll have better clearance now with the plow off

12. Plow Now

Plow Now Member

Now taking lift into consideration

Again a reminder I have a 97 F150. I attached a pic of each mount to reference this question. Instead of lowering the recomended mount (17108) because of lift, I picked up a meyers (17105) for next to nothing. I got 2 mounting brackets w it too. 2 pcs (l&R strap) 4-5 on the diagram of the 17105 and 2 pcs that strongly resemble the pcs that are attached to the rear of the 17108 mount that the stud bar and stud bar caps screw into. The frame rails match perfectly and i know the front 2 bolts that mount to truck screw into where the hooks are also. I understand welding is involved and know good welders. The bottom of the mount has to be 10.5 inches from ground. Anyone know this truck and these mounts well enough or damn near well enough to say cut this and that, flip around and weld this etc. That was an example, but is it viable to make this functional without tooooooooooo many mods? This is a tough one and you guys have been able to (with ease) provide all good wisdom, i hope you have an answer I want to hear and if not are there any other mounts other than a (17108) w my lift should also work?
    Thank you all for the effort. I know Ill somehow find some type of solution here.

Attached Files:

13. Plow Now

Plow Now Member

is this beyond reality?

Am I having dillusions of grandjeur thinking this mount can successfully be installed on my truck?

14. finh2o

finh2o Junior Member

I can't comment on Meyers plows but I can tell you one thing about the mount. You have to fab something on the back of it to your truck. What will happen if you dont is, if you hit a pothole, sewer cover, curb etc the mount can roll and twist the frame of tour truck.

I have a 6" lift in my GMC 2500. I had to do some serious fabrications to make it work. It can be done. Just don't throw the thing on the truck tho. Hope this helped

15. Plow Now

Plow Now Member

It all helps thanks!!