1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My endorsement for a Boss V plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by LwnmwrMan22, Feb 27, 2007.

1. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Last storm we had, 11" of snow, give or take.

I was plowing a Checkers Auto parts, been doing it for about 8 years, except for one year, when someone bid it cheaper than me, then got it back.

I was plowing along, about 4 am, forgot about the manhole cover that sticks up about 1" in the middle of the parking lot.

BAM! Dead stop. I bounced up in the air, hit my head on the roof of the pickup.

Sat there for a couple of minutes, shaking the cob webs out, then tried the plow, figuring it was bent. Nope, Got back to work.

A little later, I realized my head felt cold on the top, so I touch it, and it's wet. Yep, split my head open on the headliner of my truck I hit it so hard.

Kept plowing.

About 6:30, I'm running about an hour behind schedule, and it's going on 30 hours of straight plowing, so I call my dad in to help me get a bank opened up before the employees arrive.

Mind you, I hate having 2 trucks on a lot, I just figure the less vehicles you have moving on any given lot at any given time, there's that much less of a chance of something happening.

Well, I was pushing the snow to the end of the parking lot, and then my dad would push it over to the pile.

I ended up sneaking up behind him one time, from the passenger side, and he was looking out the driver's side mirror......

He back up and over the right side of my V plow.

At first we couldn't get the two apart, but we eventually put both trucks in 4-low, stood on the brakes, then at the same time floored them in opposite directions and let off the brakes at the same time.

Anyways, bent the crap out of his bumper, but didn't get into the metal, either on the quarter panel, or the tailgate.

Bent the upright marker on the right side of the plow, and scratched the paint, but once we got them apart, I just went right on plowing again.

I took it over to the plow dealer today (buddy) to have him look it over, but everything checks out fine.

I've had some plows in the past that I've bent up with MUCH less effort than this.

After this last storm, I'll have nothing but a Boss.

2. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

3. lakeeffect

lakeeffect Senior Member

If you had a Fisher, when you hit the manhole cover, you trip edge would have tripped and you would have kept going with nothing more than a noise. The rest of the problems would not have happened. No blood, no fuss, just keep movin snow.

4. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Boss builds one hell of a snowplow....same with me, nothing but a BOSS!:salute:

5. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

oh yea , sure. I hit a manhole sticking up with a fisher plow once. A strait blade. It tore the scraper edge off. and blew out all the trip springs. that was a joyful experience...

6. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I've run my fair share of trip edge plows, and full moldboard trip plows.

I ran Diamond plows for about 5 years. It's built by Meyer, their "top of the line".

It was nice, and you're correct. If you hit a manhole, the edge would trip, you'd stop, reset it, and keep plowing.

I ran headfirst into a telephone pole once, inbetween lots, going down a hill that was black ice, doing about 20, went through a 'T' intersection and straight into the pole.

Put a curve in the middle of the moldboard, but that was it.

I cannot run Fisher, there are no dealers anywhere near me.

I'm not saying that one plow is better than the other, just stating that after these two incidents, after seeing how the truck / plow hold up, that I could keep plowing, even after my dad parked his truck on the top of my plow, that I'll never have anything but a Boss after this.

Well, until a different dealer moves closer than mine is now.... :blush2:

7. UglyTruck

UglyTruck Senior Member