1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

my earnings.......

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by joethevacman14, Dec 13, 2003.

1. joethevacman14

joethevacman14 Member

So, far i've made $25 in two days by doing driveways with a walk-behind snow blower. When I turn 16 in a year, I'll have to buy a good truck and a plow......payup

s2400003.jpg

2. roblandscape

roblandscape Senior Member
    from Phila

Raise your rates, now I know why my customers are canceling saying that the neighborhood kid did the driveway...But hey everyone has to start somewhere, Keep up the good work and save your money. But don't work for nothing

3. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

you gotta admit that him doing work is better then selling crack in jr high school, try and gat atleast $15 a drive son, make more $$

4. mjmstaff

mjmstaff Member

That's good advise, "Don't work for nothing... I bought my 13 year old a ATV with a plow. On some days he can make more than me..

5. classicman

classicman Member

Forget raising your rates! Keep undercutting us, young man, I hope you get rich. My wife and I bought our 13 year old son a RIDING mower to cut lawns with... guess who uses it- that's right- DAD. Any kid out there doin' this stuff for that kind of my should probably take up a collection on this site to make up for the difference between the prevailing rates and what he's getting. I'd recommend that the lad search the posts and start with all the fellas posting about how much to charge, especially the ones that wikk not get out of the truck.

6. Radguy

Radguy Member

At least make minimun wage.payup

And hope dad fixes it when it brakes :D

7. gpin

gpin Senior Member

Just stay with it. You might not make that much at first, but you will learn the business. I started out plowing at 16 and at 42, I've still got alot to learn. I have earned great clients who do not shop out my prices as they have grown to depend on me year after year.

8. windmill

windmill Senior Member

Hey joethevacman14, where in the Pacific northwest are you? You say $25 for doing drive way(s)? I hope they are small and easy to do.
    I do quite a few driveways as well and charge $5 each. Good money in driveways!

9. joethevacman14

joethevacman14 Member

my loaction

I am in Yakima, Wa and For all you Pepsi drinkers, look on the side of the can, it will say "Bottled..... In Yakima, Wa." The Tree Top plant is in a little town Called Selah not far from where I live (less than 5 mi).

The driveways are very short and if you look in the background of the pic that I posted, the driveway that I did is in the background, but I did that one for free.:nono:
    The little old lady next door has a 3-car garage and a driveway that is about 15' - 20' long and I did hers for $15 then the next day for $10. I can't complain, her husband died last September, and they useto bring us all kinds of fruits, vegetables and all kinds of stuff so its kinda my way of paying her back. And of course our driveway and maybe I'll get around to taking pics of her's and our driveway for ya'll to gauk at.

Enjoy plowing everyone -- I'll hopefully be there someday too!

10. windmill

windmill Senior Member

Nice country, Yakima, it's the Snoqualimie Pass that's not nice to travel at this time of the year. We used to bring up hay from Yakima, and during the winter the pass was not a fun place to be in an 18 wheeler.
    It's a good thing you posted the size of the driveway, I'm sure that there were a lot of people chuckling at your prices, and therefor thinking you were a "lowballer", (They can't call you that on this board though) that's why I posted my prices for some drive ways. I have a complex with 58 driveways which we do at 5.00 each with a 1" trigger, on average we can do about 15/hr. I can live on $75.00/hr with my only cost being the stick plow and labour cost. For those of you who thought "what an idiot, going out and doing driveways for $5.00", I say "It's all a matter of perspective."
    Remember I said average, 1" we do better than 20/hr, on our biggest dump of 6"of wet stuff we were down to 4.5/hr. but we get a lot more 1" events than anything over 4". So it's perspective AND climatic zone.

11. gpin

gpin Senior Member

No one should be chuckling, by the list of your equipment, you are out there working and making $, it's a great plan to have all your work together and lock it up with a good price.