1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My E60H nightmare....need some help

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by deviator, Jan 15, 2012.

1. deviator

deviator Junior Member
    from CT

I recently replaced most seals and gaskets on my e60h, along with installing a new crossover relief valve. The pump/ram worked with out the plow hooked up. When the plow was hooked, only the R/L angle worked. The pump did not have enough power to raise the plow off the ground. I took the cover off, removed the ram, cylinder etc, looked for any obvious reason why this was happening....everything appeared to be fine. I went back to the exploded parts view, made sure everything was reinstalled in the proper order. I noticed that I did not have the "spacer ring" which should be on top of the cylinder. ( actually I don't think the spacer ring was ever there because, I find it hard to believe that I could forget to put that piece back in) and after looking at several different sites, it seems that the e60h may not need this piece. My first question is, Does the E60H need that spacer ring ? My other area of concern is the packing cup. The new one that I received was slightly flared, compared to the original one. Should the ram/assembly--packing cup move freely or be snug within the cylinder?? When I took the unit apart looking for "the problem", I noticed the new packing cup was slightly worn. Any help would be greatly appreciated....just about ready to give up on this one. :help:

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Not exactly sure the reason for the spacer but pretty sure it is there for a reason. The packing cup should be very snug. When we rebuild them, we normally need to bang it on a steel table to get the ram back inside the tube. But don't think with out the spacer the lift tube will be held down to allow pressure to build to lift the plow.

I am betting your problem is with the o ring that goes in between the lift tube and the sump base. There are two in the rebuild kit that will fit there but only one will work.

Another thing you can try is turn the quill in clockwise. If it will raise after doing this means the A valve is stuck open and needs replaced.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

An E60H has the larger 1 3/4" cylinder therefore doesn't use the spacer ring that the older E60's used that had the smaller 1 1/4" bore cylinder. The spacer was used on those because (obviously) the cylinder was smaller even though they used the same top cap as the larger bore pumps. Thus the spacer was needed to make up the difference in the top cap.

There's only one packing cup for the big bore and it will look like it's made from some type of cloth and once installed should be nice and tight in the cylinder on assembly. After properly pre-lubricating it, it should still take some gentle effort to get in the bore.

The only other packing is for the smaller bore and is completely different in appears, looks like a square cut rubber O-ring and is much smaller in diameter.

Once you have it properly re-assembled and back on the truck for a test, run the lift ram up, lift the plow up with a floor jack and hook the chain on the lift arm. Then lower the jack leaving the plow hanging on the lift arm. Does it stay up, or just leak down?