1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My E47 Plow Motor Keeps Burning out!!! Help Please

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by BamBlazer, Dec 11, 2009.

1. BamBlazer

BamBlazer Junior Member
    from 60185

Ok I have a 1990 Chevy blazer with an E47 Plow. The motor I had on it burned out and wouldn't work. So I recieved a rebuilt motor and it worked for 5min. So I recieved another and it worked for 3 drive ways. I'm getting power to the motor. I tested the ground on the plow to the positive terminal on the motor. Now I talked to a repair shop and they want to try a brand new motor, and they want to see if thats the problem. Now if I do that Im going to pay double for what I did for the rebuilt. Some one else told me to try rewiring it. Does anyone have any useful information. Im going nuts, and really need to get this fixed by our next snow fall. PLEASE HELP I NEED YOUR KNOWLEDGE!!!!!!!!!! Thanks Art

Also Whenever I try to move the plow up or left or right, It clicking at the solenoid under the hood!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

clicking is good. your ground is bad.

3. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Are the motors you're getting have a ground stud on them or just the positive stud?

If it has the ground stud you have a bad connection, whether connector or cable itself take unhook them and clean up both power and ground cables.

If it has only the positive stud, it grounds through the base where the motor mounts make sure to clean it up very well and pull the cables and give them a good cleaning also.

4. welded wrenches

welded wrenches Senior Member

myers 47 smokin

heres some other details if your line hydralic oil pressure is above 1700 psi or even as high as 2400 you will burnout one them motors quickly..too much line pressure put a strain on them little 3inch motors..also low dc direct current rapid voltage drop and slow voltage recovery..will also cause issues.

5. BamBlazer

BamBlazer Junior Member
    from 60185

The motors only have the positve. I looked at the motors and the arn't burning the brushes, but they are burning up the copper windings. My dad thinks the pump needs to be rebuilt. Im going to reground everything and hope it works.
    thanks guys. if you think of anything else please let me know.

6. BamBlazer

BamBlazer Junior Member
    from 60185

so where do you think i should start?

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you feel the quality of the previous motors was acceptable then you have a poor ground or weak connection on the positive cables .You can have ground and power but not nearly enough to carry the motor, thus causing a great deal of strain on the motor.

1) Make sure the motor mounting area on the gear pump is spotless of any corrosion.

2) Check/clean/ repair/replace all connections and/or cables on both the power and ground side, paying special attention to the ground point on the rear of the pump unit itself.

3) Don't hesitate to replace the under hood solenoid. A high internal resistance there will cause the motor to work HARD.

8. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

Also upgrade the motor to the one that has a ground stud as well as a power stud. That eliminated ALL my issues.

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

What fluid is in the plow. ATF in a Meyer unit is a recipe for disaster, including burning up motors from working against the increased resistance.

So on top of performing the items on B&B's list of excellent advice, check the fluid and filters.