1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My Dodge 1 ton rehab incl cab swap

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by got-h2o, Nov 3, 2011.

1. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Some of you here know that I bought the 97 truck below from Ryan Wheeler a short time ago. I already had a 95 1 ton diesel in need of some cosmetic repair something serious LOL. The donor truck from Ryan needed a trans and was exceptionally rust free, so it made the perfect donor. It turned out that stuff I needed was great, and stuff I didn't need was so/so. The bed was beat up, and the frame and suspension was rusty, but I didn't need any of that. The cab, fenders, doors, etc was extremely clean. The seat was rough, but I had a newer grey seat in my 95 anyway, which had red interior....and the donor had grey. The donor had power windows and locks, etc.

A buddie did a lot of the work and most of the swap as a trade deal we did on labor. I prepped and did a lot of dissassembly. He also did the paint. It has come farther than the pics in the last couple of days. I'll update as things come together a little more.

I didn't get many pics of the process, but that's ok. You get the idea.

The swap went extremely well. Everything from the 97 gasser was plug and play with the 95 diesel. Cab harnesses matched and plugged right in. Everything just worked when it was set on and plugged in. Power windows, ignition, etc. The clusters swapped and worked as well.

Here is the donor as it was listed for sale:

[​IMG]

Some disassembly:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 1 ton before it headed out:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  2. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Here's the 1 ton how it was when I bought it:

[​IMG]

Here it is a couple of weeks later once I put an MVP on and a set of wheels/tires (came as a set with new tires):

[​IMG]

And a few more to see its condition.....Rockstars followed LOL.

[​IMG]

I cut the notch in the rocker b/c I was sick of catching my knee. The door barely closed b/c of rust and sag.

[​IMG]

3. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's one shot with the cab off:

[​IMG]

4. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

subbing for pics

5. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

And the next pics I have were after paint. I'm going to black the bottom few inches to hide the dents a little and to have a little more material down there. Just from the lowest body line down. I have a black grille with billet inserts as well. I'll prob black the frame, redo the steel on the bed eventually, etc. It'also not jammed good yet, but I plan to do that later. It's getting too close in the season for minor details.

It is getting a set of super springs and plans are for an 8611 full size.

I will update pics as it progresses.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

The windshield is now swapped from the 95. It was good and the 97 was cracked. That's why he painted over it ;)

It's a low budget paint job but it looks excellent. Something he would have done for me for a few hundred or less if I payed him and 10x better than Maaco. You wouldn't believe it if you saw it for the price, not to mention the quality for a beater work truck hahahahahaha

7. THEGOLDPRO

why didnt you slap some filler/bondo on the dents before you painted the truck???

8. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I wasn't worried about it and it was kindof a quickie plan throwing it together since it's so late. My original plan was to paint over the rusty 95 as it sat till I found the donor LOL. After the season I may go in detail and do it up a little better (that and we'll see what the season holds for more damage). I have a good paintless dent guy and may see if he can do anything with the one on the drivers cab corner, and if not my buddie will shoot it again, or even just the bottom. I still view it as the roughest truck in the fleet, so it's a show piece in comparison now LOL.

Funny too, even though it was the roughest, it was my favorite. My wife never understood why I have "prettier" trucks in the driveway yet I drive around in this piece of junk every day hahahahaha.

9. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Funny thing is I too prefer the 95 over the newer 06.... Perhaps it is the fuel milage..... :)

10. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

How's Allis treating you?? Have an older 840 Allis Chalmers with a 12' pusher. First year with the loader and pumped!!! Tried it out today in the yard and pushed gravel like a dream.

11. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I love this loader. I push a 14' HD box with no problem whatsoever. Runs and operates great., and literally does the job of at least 4 trucks.

I had a mishap that is soon to be repaired, but I think it was our fault. I didn't notice a low tire, like 6" lower than the other out back. Bad U joints combined made for one broke pinion driving down the road. I'm swapping out the complete rear pig and rear driveshaft with a nice used setup. It was around $3500 shipped here from Idaho, but it will be done.

I can give you the info for the place if you'd like. I had a heck of a time tracking down parts, but these guys had everything and were great to deal with.

12. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Well, back together, some super coils and an LP. It's pretty much where I want it. A few more tricks up my sleeve, but she's quite presentable IMO! I doubled the wing edges since the pics and they sit nice and straight now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. THEGOLDPRO

Looks dope man.

14. THEGOLDPRO

Got any parts left over from the donor truck?

15. fatboyNJ

fatboyNJ Senior Member
    from NJ

dont by chance have MVP wiring that wil work on my 2001 ram thats already wired for a straight uni would ya?

16. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Thanks Ben. And I do have some stuff.....what do you need? I have the rolling frame minus the front diff, I have motor/trans/tcase, the sh!tty body parts and some interior pieces.

I did but traded it off sorry

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  17. fatboyNJ

fatboyNJ Senior Member
    from NJ

thanks for the reply bud, truck does look great

18. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Truck turned out great Bill!

You just need a set of THESE and you'll be set.Thumbs Up

19. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Thanks again guys! As for the cab lights, trust me you're not the first to say that!! Haha. I'm sticking without them..............................for now ;)

20. Red_Rattler

Red_Rattler Senior Member

too bad you didnt coat the frame with something while the cab was off... Nice save though