1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My dad's old plow truck

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by luciani634, Nov 22, 2011.

1. luciani634

luciani634 Member

1999 Gm Tahoe K1500 towing a 27ft camper the 2 tires on it.

image(9).jpg

image(8).jpg

2. toyotaplow

toyotaplow Member

Ouch, what exactly happened there?

3. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

My guess: Towing at or a little above GCWR, got sway after swerving to avoid a jerk, no electric trailer brake controller to stop the sway (or driver did not manually activate it), the tail wagged the dog...

4. toyotaplow

toyotaplow Member

If so, that's one hell of a sway. The truck is spun right around facing oncoming traffic.

5. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Looks like he rear ended someone first.

6. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Not saying that happened here, but i've seen that happen. 3/4 truck with a stock trailer half full of lumber started swaying, spun a 180 and ended up in the ditch facing the roadway, trailer tires off the ground. worst part was there was absolutely NO damage other than a bead popped off the tire and i had to recover it. Pulled it out without causing damage, aired up the tire, got paid and he went on his way!

Anyways sorry to hyjack! Back to the thread! Hopefully hes ok!!

7. theholycow

That's the problem...if you can't get control of sway, it's likely to keep getting worse until you spin or roll.

I'm not saying for sure that's what happened here, that's just what the photo looks like to me.

8. luciani634

luciani634 Member

The 2 passenger side tires blow out and he could not control the sway. he did have electric trailer brake

9. theholycow

Makes sense. When both tires on one side blow, trailer brakes probably can't help and might make it worse. Of course when one tire blows the other ends up carrying more weight, making it more likely to blow.

Let this thread be a reminder to all of us to always be aware of our tires' condition and inflation...especially on trailers and tow vehicles.

10. campkd6

campkd6 Senior Member

There probably some staining on the front seat after that wild ride. Glad he is ok

11. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

Belongs in the "Really Bad Day Thread", glad everyone is OK. Like everyone else says keep equipment in good condition and make certain you are using all the correct and proper required equipment.

12. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

I had a trailer start to sway real bad on me this summer it was a deck over pintle with a heavy truck on it. Scared the crap out of me It was going almost 2 full lanes and there was an 18wheeler right by me thank god I got it under control.