1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

my crappy plow job just got a little crappier,

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by IPLOWSNO, Feb 19, 2012.

1. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

i started out in a baby volvo, 09 everything worked heated seats ,radio etc, still with no snow was able to make about 600 bucks, then i had a heartattack, i don't beleive i missed much plowing but they scrape asphalt so maybe a little bit,

luckily they kept my spot open for me, they call me in to go look at new places to plow , it seems they are losing operators, more than likely because they are starving, most of these accounts are seasonal so the company is raking it in, then it dawned on me i lost my baby volvo, and the loaders at the other places are way less favorable, way less lol

so i have a question, in times of low snow do you guys compensate the seasonal guys who have endured the year with you making nearly nothing or do you say oh well and pocket the money ?

just curious as too what answers will be given,

2. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

If you are on an hourly term I say you are SOL!
    If you have any guaranteed hours you should get paid for them snow or not.

All depending on what has been agreed on.

3. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

While I agree this year is making some pockets fat on seasonal jobs, did you give your boss a break last year when his seasonals about sank him???

I'm not trying to be a smart ass, and I wish I would have sold more seasonal this year, I'm just pointing out its the nature of the beast.

I'm just starting to read about these minimum hours type things, as it would help me keep the good guys during winters like this.

How do you guys familiar with minimum hour contracts work it?

4. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Agree and agree. Unfortunatly it is just the "nature of the beast".

I get paid hourly by my brothers company. Last season he was eating Ramen Noodles with all the money he had going out in fuel, repairs and employees while I was eating filet mignon every night. This year I can barely afford Ramen and he is probably in Mexico living it up.

5. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Thats the perfect come back to the people who ask the question of do we still get paid.....NO. Everyone should know the risk up front and like someone said, would you say hey don't worry about paying me for the last two weeks because we've been out every day for the past month (like we were last year).

6. Landcare - Mont

Landcare - Mont Senior Member

One percent of our contracts are seasonal. Before the start of the season, we agree on a guarantee for our operators and drivers (e.g. $4,500.00 or $6,000.00 for the season, paid over the 15 weeks from the beginning of December to the middle of March, to include a maximum of 200 or 300 hours ). We pay them hourly for work done before and after this period on the regular paydays and, for any over the 300-included hours, at the end of the season. This year, we're both making out like bandits - none of them have more than 150 hours so far and they got paid extra for working the snowstorm we have in November. I think we're all happy with this arrangement; some of our guys have been working for us for many more than 10 years.

But it's something you have to arrange before the season starts and everyone takes their chances with the snowfall - employees, employer and customers alike. It's a business, not a charity.

7. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Landcare I think you are missing 99%, I believe you are like us and are 100% seasonal. We hire our guys on a seasonal contract also November to mid April, my employees are paid way more than yours and they rarely will see more than 150 hrs. This year they are around 35 hours, so far they are making around $120/hr. To be fair a big portion of their pay is to be available 24/7 7 days a week.

8. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

My guys are guaranteed 100 hrs. Thats for drivers & sidewalk crew.
    100hrs is the average around here, though last yr they had well over 200hrs.

9. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

You went into cardiac arrest and you're still keeping this job, kudos. But lay off the monsters :nod:

10. FourDiamond

FourDiamond Senior Member

I'm thinking of giving the guys that didn't miss any time a small bonus at the end of the season. We've only plowed twice since November 1.

11. Landcare - Mont

Landcare - Mont Senior Member

Yup - sorry. Gotta be Sunday. It even took a while to figure out what you were talking about. And that's true - 24/7 availability is key.

12. IPLOWSNO

atleast some of you guys are taking care of your help, kudos to you,

yea this is my last year plowing, there just isn't any money in it and i sure and hell won't make someone else money if i am starving, i just didn't want to fight the winter doing carpentry work and figured a loader would be a little easier,

i was wrong it actually cost me money because i wouldn't start a job i couldn't finish because of my plowing obligations.being on call 24 /7. i did a couple jobs though just not the high paying ones i was after,

about my heartaatck, i was working in my shop, building me an enertainment center, i finished while recovering and it took an evil twist to it lol

[​IMG]

i hadn't plowed in weeks lol, my wife came out and said i needed to take her to the store and i said , dam i am not feeling well,

too her she thought i was trying to get out of it, so she left to get her coat , i walked out of the shop and went to the ground, she came out 5 minutes later and urged me to get into the house, it took all i had to stand and get into the house to drop again,

by the time the ambulance came, i loaded myself into it, and said lets get the hell out of here, after we left they said i was having a heart attack, 30 minutes later they were operating on me, a couple hours after that i woke up to my phone ringing, i had to plow lol,

i look outside and there was maybe an 1'' of snow, at that time i wasn't really feeling it so i had my wife answer and tell them i was kinda sick at the present time.

i didn't miss much money as the pay sucked to begin with, but i was new to them so i couldn't bargain with them much. we did but it was only a buck an hour and he left that out anyway lol

the day i went in too look at the new routes, i was on the clock for an 1 1/2 ,they asked if i punched in and i laughed and said it cost me more to drive in here don't worry about it.the check probably cost more than it was worth lmao,

no i made a deal and i stand behind what i say so i will stick it out with him, i just have to be ready to work a little harder when things turn around for me is all , afterall if it doesn't kill yea it only makes you stronger right.

i was just curious as how you guys kept people working when things were bad is all, i heard that the guy i plowed for last year was having a real bad year losing accounts because he didn't have the manpower to man them so i guess in the end it comes around full circle.

thanks for all the replies guys, you learn something new everyday.

13. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

Glad your doing well.......Huge Modern Warfare guy also !!!

14. IPLOWSNO

thanks xtreem i appreciate it

15. XtremeSnowPros

XtremeSnowPros Member

I am wondering how you deal with the guaranteed pay and someone can't work because they have a legitimate reason such as being sick, hurt, or lets say they have a wedding to go to? Do you dock money from the seasonal rate?

16. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Glad to hear your doing better, and BF3 is where its at, come on!

17. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

You better be very very sick and if you happen to be we will let it slide but if it happens more then once every couple seasons we will be looking for someone else. We pay standby for 20 weeks, standby is just that, if you aren't around you don't get it. If you want to go to a wedding and it not happening every weekend that is fine but the standby is for you to be around when it snows. If I pay you 5k in standby and then $20+ an hour when your working I expect good things from you not excuses. Getting drunk and not knowing it was going to snow is not a good enough excuse and most likely you'll be looking for somewhere else to plow also.