1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My Chevy got Ford manifold disease!!!!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Sydenstricker Landscaping, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Ok my Chevy gurus. I have a problem, it is not big yet, but I want to address it before it gets that way. I was reading about the Ford V10 exhaust manifold bolts rotting out and dissapearing. I have a 6.0 V8 with 86k on it and mine are starting to do this!!!:realmad: It is starting to get that "tick" sound from a leaky exhaust. Is there any way to fix it or are there any TSBs out there on this? I would appreciate any info. I dont think duct tape and zip ties and a sledge hammer will fix this:p

2. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

They are probably cracked as well. My buddy just did his on his 01 and I want to say he has just under 90,000 miles on it. I know the 454 had this issue with high milage but maybe the new cheap as metal is the problem. Do Ford and GM use the same company for the exhaust castings?

3. Sydenstricker Landscaping

I guess I will need to replace them. I would not doubt if ford and gm get their manifolds from the same supplier.

4. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Ear muffs might work. Seriously, you are probably just going to have to replace them which will mean re-tapping. Be prepared for a big bill from the dealer if you go that route.

5. Sydenstricker Landscaping

It is not bad yet to where I need earmuffs:p I just turn up the radio for now. I just like my stuff to be in prime condition. There is no way I am going to the dealer for that!!!! I would need my banker, tax guy, left arm, etc to pay for that. I will take it in to my guy, Robhollar and let him give it a look at;) . He is the absolute best, honest guy I have ever met.

6. jce4isu

jce4isu Senior Member

my buddy has a 03 H2 with 6.0 and he has replaced his twice

7. Sydenstricker Landscaping

It must be a problem with the castings, and the heat/salt issue. Im thinking a set of headers might be in the works. But $460 is a ton to chunk out. What happened to older trucks being so easy to work on, and now all these new trucks cost an arm and a leg to repair.

8. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

gm has a big problem with the bolts holding the manifolds on to the heads breaking off in the head flush. i have on many many times removed them with a neat trick.

remove manifolds. clean areas were bolts broken. gram a nut ( 3/8 bolt then 3/8 nut and so on) welder and oxy/act tourch with brazing tip for fine control of heat. hold nut on broken bolt in head. then plug weld the nut to the bolt starting on the bolt then work in to the nut. let cool. then heat area of head up in a circular pattern. cool off with cold water to shock the metal. then try to remove the broken bolt with the welded on nut as your new head on the bolt.

some times thay only need 1 nut welded on but others need 2 or more tryes at this. i have found it much easyer than drill and tap. also you have 99.9% less chance of screwing up the hole and threads in the head of the motor. then when all removed i get new bolts from hardware store as who wants to install same dealer problem matic bolts back in. also run a tap in the head holes to clean out the junk build up.

i saved a guys truck a few weeks ago with this. he was ready to pull the heads and send out to machine shop to have them drilled out and taped. i charged him book time for manifold replacement as i removed them and reinstalled them. but i only charged him 1 extra hr to do this trick to his heads on the motor and saved him a big bill and down time of 3-5 days. all done in 3-4 hrs in shop.

he upgraded at the same time to gibson shorty headers that bolt in inplace of cast manifolds. he loves them. he feels a little more bottom end power.

9. sweetk30

ford has a rust out and rust thin down and snap off problem with all parts of the manifolds and bolts. were gm is basicly the bolts just snap off and blow out the gaskets.

10. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Hey thanks for that trick!!!! I have a oxy welder and everything, so I think I will give that a shot this spring

11. snowcan

snowcan Member

Sweetk30 that method works great, I find a better weld with a mig though. GM has an upgraded part # for the breaking bolts. I have yet to replace any manifolds but I have heard of them cracking. When you are removing the broken bolts be patient, or you will be drilling and tapping...good luck

12. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Hey Thomas thnx for the kind words....Rob:salute:

13. sweetk30

i do and listed a welder. i use a mig. the oxy/acy is to heat up the head area to let the bolt come out easy. but man i do love a good mig welder. xysport

14. Hi Guys,
    Is this something those of us with 6.0's should be considering a pre-emptive strike by replacing them before they break or are we just looking for trouble??

15. sweetk30

i bet there the same bolts. we did a 8.1L at work. had to remove the head. and thay were ready to send it out to the machine shop. i said hold it. let me try. 45 min later all were out. nun of them wanted to pop out easy. but i got them. :gunsfiring: wesport xysport

16. snowcan

snowcan Member

Replace the bolts with the upgraded version before your manifolds crack. Old part #12450206(gm), new part #11518860(gm).

17. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Thank you guys alot for all of the help. I think I may just cut the heads off on the bolts and throw the manifolds in the trash. I am going to upgrade to the Gibson headers. I had an old 84 chevy and it had sort of the same prob. All I did was cut the heads of the bolts off, take off the manifolds, spray a bunch of PB blaster, and take them out with a pair of vice grips. It worked perfect. Again I appreciate all of the help:D :D

18. sweetk30

newer motors with alum heads realy need the heat from a tourch. the corrosion sets in goot. this with the pb blaster will make sure you get them out. best heat i found is oxy/act with brazing tip. better pin point control of heat.

19. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Thanks again Sweetk30. I do have an oxy/acetylene welder and all kinds of brazing tips. This will be one of my projects to start here soon. Some one told me my 2000 still has cast iron heads. I thought they were aluminum. I did ask him what he was smoking. I just need to be very very careful with these heads, cause I sure as hell do not want to mess these heads up nor afford to replace them. I always hate it when stuff as stupid as this goes wrong then is a pain in the a** to fix.:realmad: