1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My chain came off

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Sealer People, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Sealer People

Sealer People Senior Member

Hi all,

my salter : almost 2 year old fisher poly caster, 1.4 yard slide in.

Last night after I loaded up, my first parking lot to salt & the chain comes off.
    Thankfully she just went back on easy,, but why did that happen?
    Although there is grease on the chain is it something that i should keep greasing ? & should I put a dressing on the belt that runs that runs the chute, to prevent it from drying out ?

I normally take the motor off the salter when not in use, but the belt stays on, as im driving, i guess salt from the road kick back hits on the parts ie; belt, motor, chute etc.

can I do something to prevent damage? maybe an extra large mud flap that spans the width of the box ? Screwed right into the bed????

thanks in advance
  2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Is there any adjustment to take some slack out of the chain?? That could be the only reason I can think of. Kinda like a bike chain, too much slack and it pops off when you put pressure on the pedals. A nice wide piece of mudflap is never a bad idea. Alot of guys around here have mudflaps on their spreaders to prevent road crap and what not from hitting the spinner, motor, etc
  3. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

does this unit have a gas engine? "i normally take the motor off" do you mean turn it off?
  4. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

The chain is out of adjustment, you shouldnt be able to "pop it back on easy". The motor should sit on a riser, the base of the riser is slotted front to back to adjust the chain.
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I have the same sander. It has an electric motor. I didn't take very good care of it this spring, and the chain was trashed this winter. I put a new one on it. Best 29 bucks I ever spent. Grabbed a new belt and tossed the old one under the seat. Everyone I have spoken to says to use a very light lube on the chain to reduce stuff sticking to it. WD-40 or Marvel Mystery oil. It may have popped off because a link isn't straightening out. It should run smooth as silk. The way the motor is mounted does allow quite a bit of movement at the sprocket if you are jumping a link like mine did, but there are adjusment slots on the motor to tighten the chain. When you say you take off the motor, I presume you mean the spinner unit. I only take mine off when taking the sander out of the truck and putting it on the ground. If I need to unload the sander into the pile, I just slip the spinner belt off and open the gate wide. You shouldn't need any dressing on the belt, there is almost no load on it from the spinner. Overall, it's a great sander.