1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My "cash cow" kidnapped by national!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by leigh, Nov 24, 2015.

1. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Got a call from a national informing me that I had to deal with them starting this year on my largest most profitable lot,here we go!Always preached "no nationals"now I have to man up:salute: Help me stay strongwesport
  2. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Sit it out this year. They will be back next year.
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Pucker up on both ends and enjoy it
  4. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Which national?
  5. B-2 Lawncare

B-2 Lawncare Senior Member

Man that sucks, I feel your pain it happened to me as well.
  6. leigh

from CT

USM,took over my 20K per year USPS. I should have recorded my conversation with him.Just looked through the 46 page spec sheet!
  7. leigh

from CT

One positive,they switched it from a per push to a seasonal contract ! I'll bring the beer,you supply the fire.:drinkup:
  8. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Return it with a price and payment terms plus what you need to cover their reporting. It hurts to potentially lose it but you will be better off if you treat them as any other potential customer you have. I dealt with a 3rd party for a few years. It screwed up my sleep, invoicing, my stress levels etc. All because I had to jump through hoops to be paid for work 60 days out. Over 10K in billables that at the end of the year didn't make me or break me.
  9. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I would tell them to pound sand. Only way to be rid of these vampires is to starve them to death.
  10. leigh

from CT

Biggest deal breaker is the job now requires clearing walks.The post office had their own people doing them.I'm trying to get rid of accounts with lots of walks,pain in the butt to deal with.
  11. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

How much walkway is there? Our local post offices don't have to much, although if they make you service the loading docks platforms at some offices that could add alot of work. :nono:
  12. leigh

from CT

This is a large combined facility,its a driver training site,office for various departments,24 hr walk in.the front entrance alone is 30 x50 with a 150' walk,multiple entrances etc.I've watched them clear walks for 15 years now,long enough to know I don't want to do them for less then I'm getting now. Have to wait and see what developes. Chill out for a couple days!
  13. FredG

FredG PlowSite.com Addict

I wish you luck and hope everything hopefully goes your way.
  14. FredG

FredG PlowSite.com Addict

It's really a shame that we can not do something about these nationals. There are real and are here doing biz.

They must have the best sales people around. I am still confused why a PO would trust a national for snow service especially a government USPS.

These Po's would be better off with angieslist or homeadvisorpro at least the Contractors have been FBI checked and you can see who your dealing with and the feedback good or bad by your previous jobs performed and is much more reasonable.

I know a paving contractor that has 1 old gm 3/4 that broke down most of the time. No equipment meaning loaders, Salt spreader, Etc. Piles all over loss in parking spots. He uses the company's salt and just throws it.

He gets the right money for the job and I would take it in a minute if the PO was paying me. But he waits a 120 days for his money. He has hired guys with loaders to help but when they see how long it takes to get paid they pull out.

I know he has not found a poor soul to help him this season. Why would a PO leave there self in this position.:angry::nono:
  15. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Nationals are good at marketing, but that is where it stops. Fancy Wrapped Box With a Big Red Bow.
  16. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

Have you seen the clause in their contract about what you have to do during a continuous snow event?
  17. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Their a lot of reasons that large corporations deal with national service providers.
    1. Less local overhead.
    2. Cost reduction overall.
    3. One person to deal with on a daily basis.
    4. Lets them concentrate on the core business and less distractions.
    5. Etc

There was a time that even large corporations would rather deal with local contracts but those days have long passed.
  18. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

Cant forget Liabiltiy. With one signature these corporate accounts can pass the liability of 100 or even a 1000 locations.
  19. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

Waiting 120 days for money from the post office? Unheard of.
  20. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Not completely true. As a large corporation can never pass all liabilities off. It has been proven in court. If one can prove they were aware of the problem and were negligent in preventing the problem. They are still liable but it does help.