1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My Cabover-she could plow!!!

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Sno4U, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Here's a pic of my cabover that I built up 2 years ago. She's since bit the dust but boy could she plow. It was a ' 94 w/ ALOt of miles on a little 4 cyl. Diesel.
    I'm currently making another one that has the gas, V-8 Chevy motor in it. Its a ' 92.
    It could easily carry 2 pallets of salt and turned on a dime.
    Any other cab overs out there?
    We fabbed the mount for it ourselves.

94 Isuzu 2.jpg
  2. Humvee27

Humvee27 Senior Member

I used a cabover for sweeping...I loved the turning radius....That looks like it worked awesome....did you ever have problems with traction? Without the salt on back did it seem a little light and slide?
  3. Snowman16

Snowman16 Member

Heres mine, its the smallest cab-over on the road. Mine has no traction problems it has 4wd LOL

4. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Ya she'd get squirrely w/ nothing on it but hopefully that was at the end of the snow event and the roads where pretty good by then. The only time you have traction problems is if you stopped on a hill with a load of snow in front of you. Even then some lighter 1/2 tons will slide around. The other nice thing is the front axle is set back farther from the blade so you could over reach edges better-but DON"T go over!
  5. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

My buddy mark has a big one with a plow and a v body perminate mounted on it. It holds 10 or mabey more tons of salt I will get a picture of it. It is pretty cool!
  6. Humvee27

Humvee27 Senior Member

That looks awesome...it's something if I come across one for the right price I'm gonna grab it....

Thanks...I've got a cab over with a landscape bed on it I use for mowers and such...I wondered....now I'm going to look at using that too....thanks for posting pictures...any more showing the mount would be appreciated.
  7. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Sorry can't get any pics of the mount. Like I mentioned she bit the dust. Tranny issues which stemmed from the previous owner beating the snot out of it without ever changing the fluid. I changed it as soon as I got it and it; came out choclaty and smelling nasty! Every day she ran was a gift as it had over 400k miles on it!
    The plow was a 8 ft, Western uni mount so that when the plow came off you could tilt up the cab and do maint.
    We got a mount from my plow dealers' "scrap" pile and cut & welded to fit. Its very difficult to find strong frame members (which aren't buried under something) to mount to. I believe the mount i got came from a Toyota. The frame rails are narrower than our US built trucks so, its a real oddity.
    I know of some one else that had good luck w/ a Sno-way plow. They make factory mounts and wiring harnesses that will fit the truck w/o butchering anything.
    The other issue is, this truck has positive ground wiring, like on American made ambulances and such. It can be an "inconvenience" to most plow installers.
    I'm not sure if later models are still like that.
  8. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX PlowSite.com Addict

are those street leagl?
  9. pwrstroke6john

pwrstroke6john Senior Member

No there not. We have a early 90s dihatsu one with a dump/sizzer lift, its a great work truck and you can get into any spot.
  10. Snowman16

Snowman16 Member

Mine is street legal, it took three months of after i bought it of inspections, forms etc. but it is street legal. I have been pulled over a number of times in it but it has a title and Michigan registration.wesport