1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My butt is wooped!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BRIMOW525, Feb 23, 2003.

1. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

I'm sure the rest of you guys are pretty tired of snow now after this week. I know I am. I lost 2 contracts because they weren't 100% open by tuesday morning. Lots were plowed and entrance to door was done, but not all of the walks were done. Some complained about lack of parking. We got 2 feet of snow people c'mon! Unfortunetly I don't have a blizzard clause in my contracts, but will after this year. Most of my customers were very understanding and appreciated anything we did. I had NO time to get pics but will today and post later. Dockboy, I should've called u!!
  2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

That was a lot of snow. I dont do a lot of walks for that reason,without a sidewalk crew,I know it would take me to long to get to them.it sounds liek you need a sub to help out.Might be cheaper than losing contracts for failure to perform.Maybe changing your contracts slightly could give you more time after a blizzard.Even the highway dept didnt have everyone opened up by tuesday morning.I had everyone opened up by 5 am tuesday morning,and finished off everyone by 430 pm that afternoon.,if not for my new V plow,and my loader i wouldnt have been able to keep up,and i would have had to call an extra truck in.
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2003
  3. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

LOL!!! I don't know if I could have been any help on this one:eek: I plowed for about 70 hrs as it was!! Everybody and thier brother was calling me. Had to turn allot of one-time residentials down cause I just didn't have time:rolleyes: Did spend sometime in DE though. Plowed 2 refineries in Delaware City and a couple PITA :realmad: apartment complexes.

Sorry to hear about your accounts:( I have a blizzard clause in all my contracts!!

Glad you survived though, I barely did! LOL!!!

4. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Sorry to hear about losing the customers. It's a tough thing, but if those customers couldn't understand the situation, maybe you're actually better off without them? Good luck replacing that business.

We had everybody ready for opening Tuesday AM, but it was a battle. And by open I mean they had enough parking, walks cleared where needed, access to their loading docks, but there were big piles & windrows all over the place that needed moving. Only had 1 call & that was Wed looking for more access for the trailers to get in back up to the doors. I explained that we set it up so that the truckers did have to think a little bit, but they could easily swing around opposite of their usual path & back in easily. That area was on the schedule for that night & he was real cool with it & real happy with how the rest of the areas were done, so not a complaint, just get the rest out of there after some rest he said.

I got real lucky though. Had been planning to rent a back hoe soon any way for some other upcoming construction, but decided to hold off late last week because they had backed off on the forecasts, and we don't have all of the permits for the one job yet. I knew that as of late Friday that the company I use had 1 machine still available at the local location. So first thing Monday morning I called & they were actually there, but only had an open cab available. No problem I'll take it because beggers can't be choosers now can they? Anyway we get there & see the opencab sitting in the lot, however there is an enclosed cab clearing their facility. Hmmm... Did that one miracuously get returned just now, or is it just their contractor also rents from them. So I ask about it & they tell me "oh it's available, but it's only 2wd" I said you've got to be kidding, don't need 4wd, but I would sure love an enclosed cab for the week. The guy said 6 guys had already called looking for machines and declined the 2wd. Thank God for idiots that don't know any better cause that thing sure saved my week, and my face & toes ;) For once Luck was on my side of the fence!!!
  5. landman

landman Senior Member
    from NJ

wouldn't say my butt is whooped but a little sore. I never realized how unconfortable the backhoe seat is when your in it for 4 days 12-18 hrrs at a time. Funny thing is we have an 84' John deere 410 with the old style seat and a 94' 310 jonh deere with a new style seat what a diffrence. I let my operator run the newer one because I didn't want him to have anything to complain about.
  6. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Hey Landman, dont you know the boss always gets to operate the new equipment?

Thats the way it is, and thats why most of our wives are driving the new cars !!!!!!!!!!!!!:D
  7. Turfdude

Turfdude Junior Member

After that snow from Sunday-Monday and working thru midday Thursday finishing up w/odds n-ends, I too was dog-tired.
    I liked this snow on Friday 2" - enough to plow and had all done in 6 hrs. I prefer the 2-8" snows myself.

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

glad you guys made it, i myself can't imagine dealing with 2 plus feet of snow. biggest storm i've dealt with in the plowing bus. has been no more than 13" and that was a battle to keep up.
    my hats off to you gents!!
  9. MLB

MLB Senior Member

10. BOSS 444

BOSS 444 Member
    from In.

I'm w/ MLB, quit rested, wondering if we are to get anymore??

Boss 444