1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My buddy needs help with his E47 not lowering

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by millfire517, Jan 17, 2014.

1. millfire517

millfire517 Junior Member

He goes out and plows and sometimes it will stick in the up position and sometimes when he drops it for the night it will go up but won't go back down. The plow seems to works in every other direction but when it comes to lowering. He says when it happens he pulls it in the garage and by morning it's working again. He said he took solenoid A in and had it checked and they said it checked good "His words", he has also tried to flush the system with new fluid thinking he might have water in the system freezing things up.

Unless he still has water in the system and it's causing it to freeze up what else could be going on? Anyone have any suggestions on what he should do next? He gets off work at 530pm eastern time and I told him I would get this thread started so he can hopefully get it fixed today so he can go out and make some money tonight.
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  2. Fourtrax250R

Fourtrax250R Senior Member

Has he checked the A valve? How old is the unit?
  3. ddobson

ddobson Junior Member
    from pa

4. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Start by checking for magnetism at A valve while control is in float. A valve is smaller of the 3. What control? If you have magnetism most likely A valve is bad. No magnetism, check for power coming to coil. Have power you have a bad coil. No power is bad control or connection.
  5. millfire517

Thanks for the response guys, I gave him the trouble shoot PDF and he's going to check it out tonight. When I hear back from him I will let you guys know what he found out. Again thanks.
  6. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

Check the lower filter on the front. That one is in the drop circuit.

The other thing I would check is the connection for the a valve (black wire) as well as the connection to the controls.

If he has a slik stik joystick, it may be going bad. If he has dual toggles, there may be an issue internally in the switch, or with a loose connection at the switch.

If it's a touchpad controller, check the pins to ensure that they are not loose on the connector for the touchpad as well.

The reality is that a functioning a coil is fine and dandy, but the valve itself can give symptoms such as this where it works sometimes and doesn't others. This happens when the armature inside binds because there is debris in the armature housing (stem) of the valve. The a valve can be taken apart and cleaned, but they are adjusted to a proper lash inside and that can be a pain in the butt to do. The b and c valves are both easy to disassemble with the correct tools.
  7. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

is it a slick stick....can cause a lot of greif when it gets sloppy....also put a shot of isopropyl dry gas in it
  8. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

There are precisely four things to check;

The down filter,
    The A-valve,
    The A-solenoid,
    The wiring/switches that power the A-solenoid.

I doubt that it is the filter, since that would typically perform on a "keeps getting worse" basis, i.e., every time you lower the plow, it lowers SLOWER.

Meyer wiring has always really sucked. That is where I would focus.
  9. millfire517

He says he got it working again, not sure what he did or didn't do. But hopefully this week I can get over there and figure out what he did. Thanks for the help guys.
  10. millfire517

OK, so it quit again and after checking everything we had to pull off the A solenoid and the valve and it immediately lowered. And his fluid looked like strawberry milkshake. So now he is going to replace the solenoid and valve and he wants to know what rebuild kit or gasket/seal kit he needs.
  11. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

Number one, tell him to stop being an idiot and quit running trans fluid. You want blue speck plow oil.

There are two different seal kits. Local dealer or bumper. To bumper can get them.
  12. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Obviously it will drop when you pull out the valve. Did he bother to check for +12v on the wire running the solenoid? Did he check the solenoid for magnetism? More likely than the solenoid or valve being bad, is the WIRE or SWITCH. Jumper cable from the + terminal on the truck's battery to the wire running the down solenoid. If that consistently causes the plow to drop, then he has some wiring to look at.

As far as the klingon blood goes, get some proper fluid, and clean the ice/crud out of the pump.
  13. millfire517

Yeah we checked power at the solenoid and he had power, but when we pulled the solenoid and valve you could barely hear it do anything when we energized it straight at the battery, so we figured either a bad solenoid or faulty valve and he wants to change both just as a precaution. That and he wants to go ahead and buy a seal kit and reseal the pump.
  14. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

I apologize for sounding brusque here, but if he cannot figure out a failed valve first time through, he should not be going inside that pump. There are more than 100parts inside, and you cannot get them wrong or it won't work at all.

I rebuild these pumps for a living, and cannot tell you how many incorrect ways to assemble these I see from customers who thought they could reseal theirs. It isn't hard, but if you don't have the ability to pay very finite attention to detail, you will not succeed.

Btw if the coil magnetizes, all you need to replace is the valve.
  15. millfire517

That's ok, talked to him last night and now he's just going to replace the valve only. I think he just wants to get through this season and take his pump to a shop and pay them to have it sealed.

The sad thing is I have been a meyer fan for a long time, but have never really been an owner just a bunch of family that has owned Meyer brands, and now he's trying to talk me out of buying a new Super V2 plow from Meyer. He says he will never trust him and I told him that his plow would be trouble free if he would just either fix it right or pay someone to fix it that knows exactly what they are doing.

Oh well, hopefully next month I will be able to buy my first plow. Thanks for the help guys.
  16. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

That's the beauty of Meyer they are very easy to fix

Super v is a compel fly different deign. E47 is OLD. That's 2 generations.

The new monarch pumps are awesome