1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

my boss wants me to get a spreader?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by fisher guy, Dec 18, 2008.

1. fisher guy

fisher guy PlowSite.com Addict

ok everyone i once again need your advice I was at my bosses today fixing his buyers tailgate spreader once again when he told he priced out a brand new Fisher Poly-Caster for $4,200 out the door at Salem brake and clutch and can get it installed after the storms this weekend. heres the catch though he wants me to put it on my truck!!! (i have the most room) he offerd to make all my truck payments through out the winter $420 a month and pay my fuel and i am under his insurance, he even offered to put in a rhino spray in bedliner. i was also going to ask him for another $1 an hour to make it final. im also plowing with his fathers dump truck so this also entitles more hours 5 condo complexes a motel and 2 commercials i would have to plow/sand/salt so that would keep me busy. so what im trying to ask is how does this deal sound to u sub contractors. is it to much to ask for the extra $1 an hour or do i need to ask for more. Hes a very close friend (i was named after him and his brother) so i know hes true to his word and would pay if anything went wrong with the truck due to the spreader. thanks guys for all ur input

2. vincent

vincent Senior Member

Ask for the dollar, the worst he can say is no.

3. Hunter9

Hunter9 Member

I can't help it....is your name Darrel?? And does he have another Brother named Larry??

Anyway, I think the deal looks pretty good to me, if you can get another $1 and be workgin more hours w/ each event and no truck payment for the winter I would do it.
    But get the Linex or Rhino Liner for sure.

4. fisher guy

nope the names mike and thanx for the input

5. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

So your boss will make your truck payments while the sander is on it, lets say 3 months to be conservative, thats $1260, plus pay for all your fuel, again conservative another $1000, Rhino bed liner at $600??. A grand total of around $2800 just for putting the sander in your truck. Plus you still get paid your regular hourly rate for working and you'll be working more hours. Why even try for another $1 an hour. I'd take him up on his offer before he changes his mind.

6. fisher guy

i just did its getting put on in about 2 weeks when all these storms taken care of we get the checks from the condos thatll pay for it right there lol oh and i forgot hes throwing on a stobe hide away with a mini light bar on it to nothing facy just enough to be seen

7. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

All of that and so you can be his shovel boy?

The people you work for are, well, whats the politically correct term for 'slow'?:confused:

8. Bolt-1

Bolt-1 Senior Member

Dont forget Fisherguy. The payments he makes for your truck plus the other monies he spends on your behalf. It could be considered income for you at the end of the year. ask him about that. which means a right off for him. If its not. Its not a bad deal.

9. fisher guy

well the deal has changed a lil bit now i had a talk with him today I will be getting the spreader the first or second week of January if the profits for this storm and sundays are good and in that case i go full time spreader i can even find my own side work as long as i include him on the profits 10% shovel if i want to or need the hours as for the plow i gotta go through his father before he leaves on vacation and see if i can drive that doing his motel, 2 apartment complexes and his other sons limo business and one of his rental houses but i gotta go directly through him on that i should find out in the next few days. and he is a weird one one minute he likes everyone else to everything for him next he likes to play around so his moods change. so well just have to see how this plays out over the next couple of days

10. fisher guy

hmm thats a very good point thanx i didnt think about that

11. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

So what happens if you are sick or something and cannot salt? Will other people be driving your truck???? Will they drive it like you do or beat the crap out of it???
    Just something to think of.

12. fisher guy

the only one that would drive it other then me is my boss on the rare occasion i dont remember the last time i stayed home sick and he takes pretty decent care of vehicles

13. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns Senior Member

From a business owner

Which truck is it going in???

Why not INVEST in the spreader yourself and OWN IT, sub your truck and NEW SPREADER out to him. Write off the expenses and get the tax bennifit. NEVER use your truck for COMPANY work. If you are going to be a SUB then do it right. Or are you running a truck rental service?

When exactly does his insurance cover you and when does your insurance cover you??

So you are on the way to load the truck with salt and crash, his insurance or your insurance?

You are out on Friday night doing whatever and someone crashes into that new spreader your insurance or his insurance?

You total your truck in two weeks, are you responsible to provied your BOSS with a truck to use as he made the payement?

What about wear and tear on your truck? Have you seen what salt does to a truck?? I am not just talking about roadway salt I am talking about when you run toss tons of it out of the back all winter long.

What about un-installing the spreader in the off season and so on?

When does he pay for the fuel and when do you? how do you know how many gallons were used on his jobs??

Do you have any idea what is would cost to rent/lease a truck for the same period and then put a driver in it pay insurance, fuel.

Do you like the idea of your boss OWNING you and your truck??

I mean if I am making the payment I am tell you when and where and your truck is at my beck and call.

What happen if you get fired??

What happens if it does not make the money he thought and he want to pay you less later?

Will there be a written contract???

Are you a partner?? When ever someone brings something that is essential to the daily operation of the business OR results in profit bearing efforts while combining what two people have to make one thing whole that seems like a partnership. Tell him you pay all your expense during the contract term, he provides the sprader and material. At the end you total all profits from salting deduct your expense, deduct his expenses and split the profit 50/50. Again partners.

WHAT, WHAT, WHAT??

Too many variables, and whenever I hear about a BOSS wanting to use an employees truck for anything I see red. If the business owner can not afford to have the equipment to do the work he is contracted to do he has many other options beside using an employees truck.

Yeah, all the money sounds and seems nice now but when it hit the fan you might be asking yourself WHY DID I EVER DO THIS, and the only answer is GREED!

This is a too good to be true deal only for the boss. prsport away from that deal.

Best, Ron G.

14. fisher guy

WOW the deal is pretty laid back as in not very formal he makes the payments and all nothing really in writing but ur right i didnt think about 3/4 of that stuff and ur right he was subbing out to a to a guy with a big tandem spreader but decided he wanted to do it in house he cant put it on the back of his truck cuz hes got a lot of stuff back there tool box tools ladder racks things of that nature he cant just take out it would be going in my f-250 another issue is weight u didnt mention but ive been thing about it. it would pretty much overweight if they fill it to the top so thats another liabillity issue .tommorow me and him are gonna have a sit down talk about this before we do anything. right now were not on the best terms anyways cuz he stuck me on shovel and forgot about me i havent seen a plow truck since that storm on the 12th i have a thread on it in the commercial forum .thank u i need to discuss all this with him and thanx for putting all to mind i almost made a huge mistake